A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Enjoyment

en·joy·ment:
      noun
  1. 1.
    the state or process of taking pleasure in something.
  2. 2.
    the action of possessing and benefiting from something.



Tuesday lesson was me and kiddos, L was sick :( Holly was a nutball in the roundpen, despite having had a trainer ride the day before. Eventually she finished hot lapping and we got to business.



Had to work to get and keep a frame, but overall, she was the good pony I knew was in there somewhere. Watched the kiddos jump while I worked on some shoulder in/ haunches in. Need to do lots more of that. Lots, lots more.

Then it was my turn to jump. Just worked two different jumps, first little crossrails, then a vertical, doing more and more canter work. I really need to learn to keep a steady pace, because as of now, she can't do it by herself.


Holly also is able to add the smallest chip in imaginable, which she gives some great examples of in the second video. At least I am much more relaxed and don't get so thrown off by it, I just need to learn to keep my leg on.


Overall I just felt calm and (shockingly) enjoyed myself. Holly is showing glimmers of just how amazeballs she will be with a little more time and patience.


Wednesday (today) was a short but interesting lesson. Trainer had a cowboy working her horse in the roundpen, so I lunged a fairly uninspired beast in the indoor arena on a dry day (shh don't tell the BO) and then went to join them in the roundpen.

Why hubby couldn't get many pics :)
Holly was quite sure I was confused and got a little nervous when I steered her into the roundpen. The roundpen is scary apparently. She overall was good, even with yappy dogs, men with weed-wackers, chickens, and another occasionally spooky horse trapped with her. A few times she was sure if trainers horse was upset, she needed to freak too, and amazingly I actually remembered to sit back and deep and just push her forward through it, instead of coming just as unwound.

She was completely unimpressed with trainers horse running about with a rope swinging over his head, which I am super proud of, because I'm pretty sure that was completely new to her. Then cowboy had me bring her over at trainers (laughing) request and we proceeded to rub her down with a coiled rope. She shied a bit, but stayed with it, good girl. Then I did a few laps just holding the rope, and moving it around a bit in her peripheral vision.



Gave princess a bath, and put her away, proud of how good she's being. Here's to hoping she will stay good through the summer. Hopefully by winter I'll be more ready for crazy winter mare.

14 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying her - that's what it's for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, duh right?! I just thought the definition of enjoyment was perfect for horses.

      Delete
  2. Love the videos and her canter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, she's graceful when she wants to be.

      Delete
  3. Fun! And by the way, I went to reply to your comment on my latest *fail* blog and it deleted your comment. I was so sad :( Can you repost it? I thought it was very witty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, my wittiness is fleeting, I've already forgotten, but glad you saw it (and glad you're ok) ;)

      Delete
  4. When you have the correct pace and get her to leave out that little chip, she looks STELLAR! You've both come a really long way already. You got lucky to have such a nice, nice mare!! Although, maybe luck isn't quite the right word... you've worked really hard and it's paying off!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thanks, I can picture her looking really clean over bigger jumps (maybe even with me aboard). Its hard to see the progress, its why I like to blog, I can look back and see where we were at in the beginning.

      Delete
  5. she does add chips but she does it in a really balanced way it's kind of funny! I bet when the heights go up she can ride right up to the base and jump the crap out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its true, its driving my trainer nuts, but once I learned to balance for it, I realized its not sloppy/spazzy just bad judgement. She feels way better at 2'3" than little jumps (which sucks for my weenie self).

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!