A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Monday, January 4, 2016

Candy Canes, GM, and Naughty ponies

Freezing cold wind makes for rough Xmas photos

Trying to get back into blogging is proving to be hard. But at least now  I have a little help with a new laptop. So now I can sit here in bed, and type away. no kids, glass of wine... Hmm... this may not be super productive...


XMAS scored my another 2 sets of Piper breeches and assorted Under Armor tops along with said laptop and other wintery things like beanies and my beloved scarves.

I'm also on a major sugar binge, so hopefully I can clean out the candy and start some cleaner living with Nicku and her #goalbreeches





Anywhoo, I audited the GM Clinic with Karley, getting to watch L once again brave riding with someone who will tell you exactly how he feels, good, bad, and brutal. L and Karley did pretty good synopsis of the clinic already, so I'll keep it short.


Being the second time, but a few years removed, it was interesting to see what new things I picked up.
#1- Dressage
#2- Leg-hand, Leg-hand, Leg-hand
#3-Dressage
#4-Outside rein
#5-Dressage
#6-I'm never riding with him.
#7- Dressage
#8-If GM can make a horse engage his hind quarters in 10min without stirrups, I have no excuse for not demanding better frame/ uphill work.
#9-Dressage- No really, GM really pushes the power of sound flat work. Which makes me feel better about returning to focus on it.

Seriously, I need to do no stirrup work if GM still rides without them

I was so inspired by GM I even tried jumping a little bit a couple weeks ago, really thinking of riding in a "crotch seat" as he terms the proper American jump position. It really helped me think of the right spot to be in, and helped me not get ahead or left behind.

But ya know...
Its winter....
Naughty ponies do haunches in/out, shoulder in/out
I don't know why it catches me off-guard every year that the ponies all lose their minds when the temps drop and the winds gust. Well, at least my beauty does. To be fair, she isn't getting the same turn-out/ saddle time either, and she's a girl who needs to kick her heels up regularly.

Rode her the other day without lunging, since there really wasn't room in the indoor. Umm, yea, YeeHaw.

That was a learning experience to say the least. If you didn't let her channel that spooky energy forward, she gave me upward then forward. Nothing nasty but we caught some air, because she's wasn't keen on being the horse in the arena that got eaten.

Ok. Ok, we always lunge first, point taken princess.

Style points :) 

I have worked really hard at keeping my hands up and more leg leg leg since GM and have really noticed a difference in my ability to keep her in a nice frame. Not a lot of media proof since hubby isn't a fan of low-light indoor photography in 30F weather ;)

I leave you with my grumpy kitty
Been busy with the holiday family stuff, hopefully can get regular rides back into the mix, because not riding isn't helping either of us. Luckily WS had last two weeks off and has put some good rides into Holly.

10 comments:

  1. You other look amaze in the purple ♡♡♡
    Keep chipping away when you can, working & having two young kids makes balancing hard. Every little helps though and if lunging before helps the ride after be worthwhile methinks deff stick with lunging forst when time is at a premium ☺
    Keep being your awesome bad ass self *clap&cheer*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've learned no matter how short the time, or if barnmates tease me, she needs a lunge first if we are to be productive.

      Delete
  2. Haunches in and shoulder in/out is GREAT for naughty ponies, just did that yesterday for similar reasons ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, silver lining, they learn to move their bodies better.

      Delete
  3. I love the grumpy kitty! GM scares me but he is very wise :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's scary to even audit, he shoots the death stare if he catches you chatting while he's teaching. Grumpy kitty us sometimes cute.

      Delete
  4. GM scares me too much to ride with him. I chickened out when I had the chance and now I may not get another chance. I think I'm okay with that through.

    Sounds like you have been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad you had a nice holiday! i always feel bad about not riding more without stirrups... but yea this season is not the easiest for it (esp since my mare can be a bit cold-backed...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog, cute ponay!
    30*f Pft... men are wimps. I am stuck riding in -4*f ... that sucks! lol. I agree though, my DH wont join either.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!