A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Maybe I'm just getting old...

I am thoroughly enjoying this Olympics more than normal. Most likely because I have very limited other engagements at this point (feed baby, feed me, laundry, oh yeah, shower!) and I have the time to see just how many events have TV coverage. NBC has made watching much easier and surprisingly not all equestrian events are pushed until the wee hours of the morning like previous Olympics.



As I sat watching dressage, I had a change of heart for the event. As the first rider primly crossed the arena, I had my usual 'this is way too prissy for me' thoughts. Then I started to watch their movements, while listening to a broadcaster who actually knew what she was talking about commenting on the ride, and realized, it didn't look so boring to me now. In fact, it looked kinda fun... the level of control that always seemed stuffy to me now looked so clean, like a good challenge. Was this just me realizing I'm turning 31 next month and feeling out of shape? AM I getting old, or just growing as a person and equestrian?

Of course my liking it means very little at this point, I have no horse to train on, and am still really just mastering the basics, at least it feels that way when  the trainer yells at me for the same thing over and over ('Hands!'). Besides, as much as it intimidates me, I still like jumping. I need that kind of stretching of my strength and willpower, I am not the most assertive rider, and jumping pushes me to stop the worried thoughts and just do it. Someday I will finally get another horse, and I can try all sorts of things. Until then I will keep taking lessons, and enjoy watching my baby watch horses dance across the TV. (Can we say pony?) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!