A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Progress...

So (other than the fact that between my nerves, and forgetting to take Pepcid, I felt like I was going to hurl most of the lesson) I had a good night.  finally apparently reached a point where my trainer decided I am not only back, but ready to do more than I was doing pre-baby. I arrived just a hare late, but had to trudge through the mud to grab Magic so I was last on. Me and my mud caked beast quickly got to work. I did a few posting trot laps to wake us up and then did some rounds of cantering while L did some warm up jumps. Then we cantered a bit. Magic is pretty easy, once you get him going its pretty much just steer... which gets a little heavy in the corners. Last night was made a little more challenging because there was a pair of raccoon either fighting or mating right next to the arena wall. They were super loud and freaking all the horses out a bit.

Then we got to jumping. We first did an x back and forth, not super fun with 5 of us since it was at an angle and people were having a hard time figuring out when to cross back over, and kept cutting in front of whoever was setting their line to jump. I'm getting better at not falling behind the jump or falling in on my hands, now on to working on actually steering over and past the jump. The BIG thing was I finally cantered jumps. We did a panel to the x to another panel (K and L did an oxer). It was weird for me to keep Magic at the canter the whole time, but he really perked up once he realized what we were doing. I won't say I did awesome, especially since he'd get a bit spazzy when we got near the raccoon mating corner of the arena, but I didn't puke, stayed on and didn't knock anything over so I am happy. I feel like before I had my baby, I was just playing around at jumping, but now I'm really learning and training at it; and I like it.... Now to tell my stomach that I'm having fun, not dying ;)

Video/ pics to follow... takes a little longer these days to edit ;)

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful news to hear that you feel you are making progress - giving ourselves the pat on the back we deserve when accomplishing things with horses is often overlooked as we are forever looking forward at everything we cannot yet do.
    I think it is great news that you have come back so well post-baby.
    Keep up the great work, you are an inspiration! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love the feeling of knowing your progressing?! And sorry you guys had to deal with such wild animals. If I remember right, the only time I ever rode in an indoor I had the same experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You pukey people! Can't you get some awesome no throw up medicine as a nurse?

    Yay to cantering jumps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have pigeons in our rafters that love to swoop down at unexpected times in front of unsuspecting horses and riders...haven't seen any raccoons yet! You all can keep them at your barn :) Great progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly we have pigeons too. I am trying to convince Kat's husband to shoot them - there are seriously like 15 of em!

    Yay for cantering a jump Kat :) Magic is such a good horse to grow your confidence on!

    The puking stuff is oh to familiar ;) lol

    Can't wait for our video/pics :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!