A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Rain, rain go away...

So last week was a bit of a departure from the norm. L went with our trainer to ride in GM's clinic so Karley and I were left to our own devices Mon and Tues. Luckily it was pretty dry and we even got to lunge in the round pen, a treat in the rainy season.



I just hacked Louie, Monday. I got wind he had been a bad boy with his owner, so I spent a little more time lunging than normal. We had a pretty good run of the indoor so I did lots of circling and transitions. I find my seat is just not independent enough from my hands, so we both fall apart on the downward transitions. Its all me, he's a well schooled boy. He still isn't clipped, so I spent a long time cooling him out, poor fuzzy bear.


  Tuesday was also a hack day since our trainer was gone. The normal lesson before us ran long since we weren't there as a group, which made working on circling a little more interesting seeing as others were jumping through the middle of our little indoor arena. Honestly I didn't do nearly the two-point and posting work I should have. I tried to not run into people, something my easily distracted self doesn't always succeed at ;)

I need to start thinking ahead of time what I want to do when I hack and work on one thing or two. I always think maybe I want to do something and then just end up kind of riding around without much direction. I did do some shoulder in/ haunches in, something Louie is a pro at. He makes hacking easy, little leg or clucking is needed, just occasionally reminding him of where the corners of the arena are or not to rub you off on the walls.

Wednesday, Karley and I braved the rain and drove up to GM clinic. It was a downpour, I didn't even get my good camera out. We quickly realized that we weren't going to get to watch riders in the big outdoor. It was a very intimate setting in their little "indoor" i.e. round pen with exerciser around it. We were finally given bales of hay to stand on so we could peer over the high walls. GM is amazing to watch, he is my dad's age (73) but still gets on a horse with each group (1 per hour) and rides around with no stirrups, cantering, jumping, and sitting all sorts of horse shenanigans I'd be lucky to ride out with stirrups. I feel like much of what he said will probably fade, but there were some great things, like how to properly half halt, sit downward transitions, etc; all things I REALLY need to work on. L rode lovely seeing as Carlos was high and the area for jumping was crazy small. Karley an I stayed til 1, ate our included meal and bounced.

GM getting his "proper" leg up

L and Carlos looking splendid


just a little wet



Hopefully this week will include hack Monday, lesson Tuesday.



7 comments:

  1. Wish we had stayed for lunch, seriously. Irene really wanted to get on the road though.

    Glad you came but sorry there wasn't much to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, that really was wet! Yikes!
    Sounds like you had a fab week, the spins where we have to sort ourselves out make us appreciate trainers & help all the more doesn't it?!
    I hate being left to my own devices too long - I lack imagination!

    Fab photos, thanks for sharing!
    Hope you've a great week this week - keep the posts coming please! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree, having a good trainer makes a world of a difference

      Delete
  3. At least they didn't have to cancel! That food looked good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food was amazing after standing around in the cold all day :)

      Delete
  4. We are hardcore for going LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louie is really cute! He looks like a TB cross that used to be at my old lesson barn, but a brighter bay. "My" Louie developed two names as he seemed to have split personalities: Louie (aka Lucifer) when he was bad, and Jimmy when he was good.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!