A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Monday, December 31, 2012

Oh 2012 how you rocked my world!


I don't have a lot of riding to reflect upon this year, only the last few months. My big event was the birth of my son, and the many many changes that come along with parenthood.

Now at over 6 months old, I can't imagine my life without my son and have found I have to be a more flexible and adaptable person. That leads into my last ride of the year. I went out to a deserted barn, enjoying the crisp air and beautiful sunset. My hubby and fussy baby were in tow, giving me a witness, but a little guilt at the hubby dealing with squealing baby. I grabbed Louie and quickly tacked him up. I decided to use a half pad I have which I again have decided is too fluffy, leaving me feeling like I'm riding a couch cushion not a horse (I like being able to feel a little more, lol).

We did a quick lunge to make sure the big empty arena wasn't too spooky and hopped on. Louie was a saint, and I enjoyed my new full seat breeches as I did some two-point and cantering. I did lots of circles, and tried to not let him become a slug on downward transitions. But mostly I just tried to enjoy being on a horse, really just relax and settle, which felt great. Louie was surprisingly chill for the cold, the emptiness, and the fussy baby. Since my baby was beside himself at this point, I quickly cooled him out and trudged him back through the dark muddiness of our barn, and settled him in for the night.


 Now on to the new year. I am not going to lease Louie, while he is an absolutely amazing horse, he just doesn't feel the right fit for where I'm at and my schedule right now. So now I have decisions to make this new year. Guess I need to play the lotto more ;)



    







Well on to working my 6th night of work in a row, and New Years at that!


1 comment:

  1. Good on you making the tough call to cut your losses on leasing Louie. You know what's best for you and where you are in life right now, it's never an easy decision to make so well done you for biting the bullet.
    You've had a great year, sucks that you had to work last night. I hope all went well!

    Roll on 2013 & your young fellas first birthday party! :D

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!