A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Eyes Up!

Apologies, wordy as always...

I knew it couldn't all be gravy. Friday got off work, scarfed some food to keep the coffee-fueled ulcer under control and dragged down to the barn. Another barn-mate's Crosby was sitting out for me to try. Ugh, saddle trying is hard. It was slippery and I found I don't like big knee rolls anymore. I felt up on my crotch (which I really don't need any encouragement to do) and felt completely off my game. Not that that won me any sympathy from trainer.

Line work and lead changes. If I kept her straight, kept my weight back, we had a few soft, gently changes. Then we had the bronc, just go forward dang it! lead changes, including almost running into the wall because I was pitched way too forward after the line. Luckily no video, although I bet it felt worse than it looked.

Saturday morning I came out just to try an Antares. It was a 17.5, my legs felt so far forward on the thigh blocks, it didn't make it feel very secure.  I think Antares are amazing, but not for us. It did fit her great, but I like a more narrow twist and need something that puts me back a bit more. That said, two-pointing felt awesome. Win some, lose some it seems. I have to face it, I love the Butet, or something more like it?


Tuesday am Mother nature unleashed some crazy wind, like can't walk straight, taking down trees bad. So bad even my trainer said go home and said come back for eve lesson.

Evening lesson ended up just L and I. It was windy, crap was noisily blowing about, so I knew there would be scooting and spooking. Since she was a bit up, we did serpentines at a posting trot across the short length of the arena then sitting to turn, back and forth up and down the ring until she chilled out.

We did a cross rail that eventually led to a figure 8 of two jumps. Of course there were cones everywhere for moi to remind me to go straight lol. Eventually ended up cantering continuously through it, lead changes included, not great, not horrible, and certainly new stuff for us. Over shot once, had some rough changes, but overall it wasn't bad.

round and a round we go...

Wednesday am brightened into a tolerably windy, sunny day. We did lots of sitting trot sans stirrups (oh what fun...) and worked on not scooting from that which scares us (like leaves and birds).

Then, we did a bunch of variations of a line down the long side and a little cross rail across the short end of the arena. That was interesting, and hard, lots of bouncy changes. At one point got stuck in a endless circle jumping the little x until trainer was happy with the approach, etc. The line was a 4, or long 3, we did several chip in, chip out 4's, and some holy crap we're flying 3's. The 3 stride felt ok when I wasn't in the backseat from a long distance in. Did it until I was jello then finally got to cool her off.

the "good" stuff.. well best we could muster anyways


My new mantras: EYES UP and FORWARD IS GOOD. I see a lot of dirt and ears when I ride...and I'm still too tense when she's forward, which just gets me crazy mare forward, not steady forward. When I breathe and take my knees off, she's quite lovely.

Below is just more jumping should you be killing time, but mostly just so I that its all grouped where I can watch it. Amazing how different it looks then feels sometimes.

Warm up Tues night




Other lines etc Weds lesson



10 comments:

  1. You guys are making huge improvements, a month ago I'm not sure you'd have cantered figure 8 witn jumps & changes. Yay you & H!
    You're lucky with all the videos to look back on, you guys are gonna be unrecognisable on you 1yr owniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, a month ago I def would not have been ready to jump her fig 8 and little mini courses. I? hope we look stellar in a year and can look back and laugh at all the early stuff.

      Delete
  2. You guys did really well on the lead changes on tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent mantra! That will serve you well with your cute as a button little lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Antares (and all custom saddles) can have so many different options that based off one saddle it would be hard to say I think. They do offer narrower/ wider twist options. :) I hope you find a saddle that works. Sounds like you've accomplished a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing you guys get better and better. Things are really coming together. I took lessons from one old eventer (I mean old as in she couldn't even ride anymore) who said, "Why ya lookin' down? Is that where ya gonna land?" <3'd her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol that's what my trainer says too, so HARD to break the habit! Its amazing the difference when your eyes are up :)

      Delete
  6. True there are at least 5 in our side of the barn, all different. I've tried 3, very comfy Antares but just NQR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like seeing the two videos back to back.. you look WAY more relaxed and going with her in Wed video.

    Keep up the good work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thaks, and I'm not sure if its more relaxed or more tired less able to be stiff ;)

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!