A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Win Some, Survive Some

Last Wednesday's lesson was... uh... unremarkable apparently, because I don't really remember it. Holly was sluggish, needed a lot of support to stay framed up. Jumped a little crossrail in the corner of the arena and worked on our 'bad side' lead changes. 



One of my fingers had been pretty darn swollen and sore so I bailed on Friday riding.

Tuesday had an am lesson to beat the rain (barely). It was already cooler out, with a breeze normally reserved for northern coast winter beaches. We even had seagulls... Uh yeah...?

Joined a few of the barn girls schooling ponies. Ponies were naughty! Cute... but naughty, and not exactly confidence building watching their shenanigans while jumping. 

While ponies were flying over oxers, I was left in infinite loops of two-point and posting trot, with a calm but not-so-easy-to-frame mare. Luckily I tried a Devoucoux Biarritz (squee).  Much easier to two-point in, and soooo soft under my backside, but the wider twist takes some getting used to. Overall I really liked it, dang it.

After some nice (albeit slightly crooked) canter work, our turn to jump. There was some spooking, and pretty darn rough lead changes, but overall it just felt good. 

Nothing big, but working on coursework. I can actually see doing courses with her now, as long as I stay chill she stays chill. Well duh.


And video because it makes things clearer than words....





Aaaand then their was today... Ok so nothing horrible happened, but it was rainy and windy, and miss cranky pants must have gotten up on the wrong side of her paddock because everything was just soooo rough for her. Lots of leg to get a frame, lots of giraffe neck (although no spooking so small win). Then because when I am my most sore and whiny, my trainer really pushes me, we schooled lead changes across the arena.

Did I mention there was a mule? Apparently Holly is muleaphobic, because having to share the arena with said mule was apparently a traumatic event for the princess. Any-who, really really bouncy lead changes passed standards and mules and water dripping down arena walls, led to us both to becoming a bit undone.

Took a few laps to cool mind and body and did some eh-ok line work. Long 4, or tight 5, kinda went 4 and chip mostly. Lead changes were still beastly to right, but to the left were pretty auto and much softer. She gets changes after a jump, just not at random. Thank heavens got enough right to quit and cool out.

10 comments:

  1. She needs to get over her Mule fear because I want a Mule :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. See there is NO way you are going to do just flat or polls classes at the shows ;) Baby jump courses at the least is what I see in your future! lol!

    So jealous about you riding outside and jumping!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea, other than trying to squeeze in lead changes, I can see starting at the 2' ish courses now, she's a butt over the little stuff, its just easier on my brain.

      Delete
    2. Lead changes will come :) Any show miles are good for ya both! Haha yeah a little challenge helps their brains stay focused!

      Delete
  3. Even if she has her naughty moments, you are looking so much more confident in those videos! Keep at it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I don't always feel more confident, but obviously I am, because I'm dong more and more with her.

      Delete
  4. All great partnerships start with teething problems and sussing each other out. Mules etc are all part of your experience package ;-)
    I cannot get over the change in you since H came into your life, when you started this blog you often had confidence crisis(es) (I KNOW that's not right - but can't spell latin *blush*) when it came to jumping - you guys are rocking it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks she's definitely bringing me lots of experience and slowly i'm realizing by riding through it I must be more confident...and I'm not a spelling queen either ;)

      Delete
  5. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the lead changes. I love a horse with some spunk. Your mare looks like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!