A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Monkey on Her Back

So over the last month, I think something really clicked in my head, and suddenly, its like I just "get" jumping. Holly has settled into the great horse (thankfully showing the fruits of lots spending the time and money in training) and I suddenly realized, that once I'm at the jump, all I really need to do is relax and hang on. Head up, toes, up, thumbs up, and just sit there quiet. For some reason it became the image of a monkey riding on a horse, relaxed and enjoying the ride. I'm weird, but hey it works.
Yes mommy, I can add a step, see :P

Lots of little courses, with all the scarier stuff, the gate, the wall, lines, tight turns with lead changes, a lot of it at 2'3"- 2'6". It's awesome to feel so at ease over oxers and walls, let alone at 2'6". In fact, I kinda hate when there's little jumps thrown in, she makes me work harder over the little stuff.

Lets make that a long in...

Oxers ain't no big thang
 I'm certainly not going to win any eq classes yet (as evidenced by included photos), but I am learning to just flow with the long one, and stay relaxed when she adds the worlds tiniest, last minute step in front of a 2'3"+ fence. Then I ask for more. Weird.



Holly has done her part and (excluding today) has really leveled out her lead changes. Today they felt like she was rocket powered, but once I knew she was in that mood, I didn't freak out, just tried to get the next one better. (pics from this week still to be edited lol, soooo behind...)

 Wonder Twins didn't want to pose

Derp
...And since some people have already seen pictures on my Instagram... I pulled the trigger on a used CWD. It's a '10, SE02. So far I like it, it feels similar enough to my trainer's Butet to not be totally foreign, but has a lot more padding life in it. There will be some shimming/ pad changing I think to get it level on miss Downhill Princess, but so far, she doesn't seem to have any qualms about the change.



Any ideas on good shimmable half pads? It doesn't need much, just prob a tiny lift in the back. I just want something I can play with a bit. I keep thinking just using an Oligvy may allow the saddle to settle better, but... it could be I just really really want one.

14 comments:

  1. Thinline makes some great options. Of course theres the Mattes pad, and the Fleeceworks, but I really like the thinline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I always hear good things about Thin line.

      Delete
  2. I second the ThinLine pads and happy to hear you and Holly are doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, its nice to not have anything to whine about ;)

      Delete
  3. Love my thinline fleece pad. It's got pockets for shims and thinline sells those too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol see I keep hearing thin line and my brain keeps thinking pretty Oligvy. I like the idea of combining a fleece and correction in one.

      Delete
  4. Yay on the fab progress & a new saddle! *happy-dance*
    You guys are killing it - you have both made such fantastic progress in such a short time frame, your work ethic, determination & trainer are fab assets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, nothing like hard work and $$$ to get results ;) Holly is also just a great mare, she really tries to please.

      Delete
  5. I loved my ThinLine shimable half pad, and I also love my Mattes Correction pad (LOTS). Obviously I love the ogilvy and used the rear shims on that before my saddle got fixed, but I felt like for a true "fit fix" the Mattes is the most flexible and best value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Lol, you have had quite the saddle/pad trial and error experience so I value your tack opinions.

      Delete
  6. It's so weird to me that with her being down hill that you need a lift in the back, that seems so backwards lol!

    Love the new happy Kat jumping and the saddle :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, verdict is still out on fit but at least I don't fall on my head and my knees are on the flaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey if it fits you and you can make it fit her- score!!! :)

      Delete
  8. She is so cute!! You guys look great! :D

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!