A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Sunday, July 6, 2014

VCBH: Interested Parties

Viva Carlos' Magical Blog Hop: Interested Parties


 What made you interested in your current horse that lead you to buying them in the first place?

Holly (aka Homegrown Art) has some of the biggest, softest, doe eyes. They melted my heart and totally suckered me in.

I was kinda all over the place when I was horse shopping. I really wanted a pony (14.2hh) or maybe 15.3hh since my lease was that height and I was comfortable there.

I brought Trooper to the barn, and as much as I loved him, it just wasn't in the budget (ha!) and luckily some kids with my trainer bought him and I get to see he cute face whenever I want.

I had seen Holly's ad before, but trainer had poo-poo'd mares (said like the word itself smells bad) and had back burner-ed her. After Trooper, I started emailing the owner and got little tiny cell videos of her hurdling herself from like 20ft away over jumps and a 'western pleasure' video that left much to be desired.

She was waaay taller than I wanted, and downhill, with slightly paddling fronts.

I went to try her and trainer instantly thought she had potential. She didn't get trotting to a jump, wanted her head in between her knees, and overall was pretty green.
That said, I was already in love. Who couldn't love that face?!
It's been a little rocky at times, and I did have the big, can I just sell her moment. But after passing that and pushing myself farther than I ever thought I'd get (uh hello 2'6) I get to say that my trainer was dead on with her choice of Holly for me.

She has grown into an amazing horse who puts up with me for the low price of snuggles and carrots.









We have finally gotten comfortable with each other, and I know she will pack me over a jump from a weird distance, and she knows I won't let the weird flags and things eat her. 















Nov 2013
Jan 2014

July 2014
So the downhill, ex-western pleasure mare, has ended up being one of the WS favorites to school, and certainly my new favorite horse. I certainly never thought I'd gush on about her for such a long post lol.



17 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS POST SO HARD!

    Mares are the best, I am delighted things are working out so well for you and Heart-melter-Holly!
    Everytime i see a post of yours pop up I smile & thoroughly enjoy following your progress :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe thanks, I admit I look forward to your always positive comments. I think its amazing you find time to work two horses and how far you have come with Kika is impressive, you stuck out some rough rides.

      Delete
  2. She looks like an awesome mare!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her sweet eyes were seriously the first thing I noticed when I first found your blog! She sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys have come so far together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've had to grow a lot more than her lol.

      Delete
  5. It would be hard to resist that face! So cute! I love that most recent jumping picture. She looks so pro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, she really jumps well when I'm not in her way.

      Delete
  6. Wow love that last picture! I think you two look great together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look how far you have come!! You guys are great together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad I picked a bigger horse, she makes bigger jumps not look so tall ;)

      Delete
  8. Just wait until you've had hear two yeras! I swear the partnership gets better and better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I think we will get closer and keep growing together.

      Delete
  9. A good mare is irreplaceable :) So glad we are blessed with a good trainer who can pick us the best horses and then get them to a great spot!

    You two have def grown so much together and she has proven to be a solid citizen for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is definitely honest and solid now, which is just what I need. Good trainers are worth the money and without her I never would have pushed myself this far.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!