A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Monday, October 27, 2014

Tack Review: Plymouth Raised Fancy Stitch Bridle

Plymouth Raised Fancy Stitch Bridle
https://www.smartpakequine.com/plymouth-raised-fancy-stitch-bridle-by-smartpak-7210p

Currently $69.95- but I got mine on sale.

Figured I'd add my two cents about this bridle. Because I'm not riding so less interesting stuff to write about ;)

First impression: Ok, so I don't buy new bridles (and rarely fondle the expensive ones at stores), so it seemed pretty darn stiff and waxy to me when it arrived, but I am sure there are plenty worse out there.

The wax took some serious elbow grease to get off,  and I don't think I really got it all, but it still started taking oil so I finally figured it was time to take it out to the barn. I also stripped some color out of the braided reins in a desperate attempt to get them de-waxed and soft. Oops.



Riding: The bridle fits awesome, adjusted well to Holly's big but dainty head. She has no rubs or issues with fit. The reins were murder initially. They really don't feel that stiff when your oiling them, but definitely take some break-in time to not feel rather brutal. Over time, they have softened, but I still get tempted to leave them soaking in some oil for a day or two.

Quality: It is holding up very well. Even when being a bit neglected by the WS, it still cleans right up every time I use it. It gets used 6 days/wk, and doesn't look nearly as abused as it is.

Overall: So, its pretty, and considering my trainer (who has bridles that have lasted 40+ years and look amazing) likes it, and how well it fits Holly, I am happy with my purchase. Even my picky picky trainer has even started recommending it to people on budgets!

4 comments:

  1. This is good to read. Eventually I'd like to get B a new hunter bridle if we start seriously competing but it's just the price of things right now are crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and they always need something important before the things you really want to get.

      Delete
  2. That's a really good price! I honestly despise breaking in new reins which is why I always give up and snap on my cotton reins, haha! Pro's of being western ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I was eyeballing some rubber reins (and still might) for schooling since those braided beastscar still not what I'd call comfortable.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!