A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Those Lessons Learned...

.. The hard way....always the hard way.


So right after my last post I had a few flat lessons. Challenging (read hot-mess awful) lessons where my horse reminded me quickly that staying on the flat isn't easier. 

We were alone with trainer on a windy day, and there was horse eating monsters everywhere. Holly was sure we were going to die. Homegirl has some serious self-preservation issues.

Sadly a less reactive rider would have this crap all fixed by now. Because she isn't like this with others. Sigh.


Then trainer put me back at baby jump height.



I could so be a 2' Long-Stirrup Hunter Princess. Excluding this last lesson, I've been calm, relaxed, and mostly confident.... 





So I guess it was the height. Sadly I'm just not mentally a jumper. I tense up whether I consciously know it or not. I will probably get myself up to the 2'6" or so range again, but I'm going to stretch Long-Stirrup Princess thing as long as I am happy and trainer lets me.



Last night I wasn't feeling great and after us nearly tumbling into the ghetto rope arena divider, we did some mediocre jumping. 

This included us getting really discombobulated and going crooked, long and me clicking heels over Holly's back. Then I rode her neck for awhile into that non-existent core strength kicked in.


Wish you could see more of my splendid neck-riding
(now I know how to make .gif's let the games begin)

Glad English saddle don't have horns and that Holly isn't prone to bucking. Because she thought about it. She's so tolerant of me, she will be such a packer... eventually.


Figured ourselves out
Bad pic, but better my elbows aren't out like a chicken for once

On the housing front, our house is sold as of tomorrow (yay for rent-back). The first house we fell for went for like $23K over asking. Um, yeah no. So just when I was at total despair, praying for a sign that I hadn't seriously messed everything up by uprooting the family, our realtor called after digging around and finding an off-market house that she knew wanted to sell last year but hadn't. All goes well, we should be moving in a month. Yay.

Also my 6 month old decided she needs to stand and try to cruise a bit already. Um, no, mommy's not ready for that yet!



8 comments:

  1. Looking good. Hope the move goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, me too! Moving is always worse than you remember lol.

      Delete
  2. the fence height shouldn't matter if you're happy and having fun. no sense pushing up ever higher and higher if it ruins that. you guys look great in the pics too - and good luck and on the move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've slowly come to realize that, duh, expensive hobbies should be fun.

      Delete
  3. Confidence is ever-changing for us Ammies. No shame in jumping whatever height you're happy at :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg that gif!! love it!

    you are doing great and despite the crazy jump, look how quiet your leg stayed!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!