A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thankful

So once again, I prove at best, I seem to be able to post a week in review... then again, I don't really have enough interesting things to say daily anyways.

Monday I got out late afternoon and hacked Louie. K and another gal, M, were taking a lesson while others hacked around the indoor with us. It got a bit crowded, which makes it hard to do your own thing, especially when the dressage ladies are constantly cutting through the middle, leaving little room to turn circles or work on diagonals myself. I guess I never feel that I have right of way before others, something I need to work on, we ALL are sharing the arena, its an equal use area (unless someone's claimed it for a private lesson). A mare was being shown by another trainer, who apparently got Louie excited, so mid canter around the ring he got a bit full of himself, started spooking and just being a butt. Yay. So then I pretty much just did lots of trotting and took my time cooling him out. He's a fuzzy beast these days so I ended up graining him in a stall while he dried off so I could blanket him before I left.


Tuesday night we did lesson an hour early since most had the day off because of Thanksgiving. We had our usual group plus C came and rode Louie (without lunging brave girl). I rode Magic, who was his usual happy (not) self. We did the usual flat work, plus some no-stirrup work (ugh). Actually I realized Magic has a great sitting trot, and I was lucky enough to not have to try to post yet without stirrups (which wasn't going to happen lol).

We trotted some poles (which apparently I cannot find the center of) and then we were broken up into groups to canter so that it was a little easier, than we took turns jumping. We kind of went by skill level, as in I, the rookie, was up first. That actually worked well for me, no time to get nervous. I went back and forth over an X a few times, than did the X around to a panel.

 It felt like a tight turn back to the panel, and I found I was always messing with my rein length, stirrups etc as I was approaching the jump. Then I'd circles the wrong way back to the X. Ah the things we learn the hard way lol. I didn't do any canter to the jump work, I was tired so since my trainer didn't make me, I didn't ask.





My video montage for the lesson ;)



More Pics: 









4 comments:

  1. You're doing pretty good so don't be too hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I am actually pretty proud of where I've come to, I'm just sarcastic, and like to poke fun at myself. I give myself great material :)

      Delete
  2. You are looking good! You should look back on pics (i do that to help remind myself I AM progressing).

    I love how I am laughing or messing around in all the pics lol.. good thing Henry has a good brain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear that all is going well, you're doing great!
    I had my first go at jumping in what seems like ages last night, i was a complete shambles! Thankfully no photographic evidence of me - am positive i wouldn't look half as poised as you do!
    Keep up the great work. :D

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!