A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Big Girl Panties

So I have come to the conclusion that I am just a worry wart by nature. Its just who I am and what I have to work with. It won't go away, so I just need to learn to channel the inappropriate energy and thoughts in a positive way...

Jumping Capt 
I also realized I only rode once a week for about a year before I had my baby so while it felt like a long time, it really wasn't much saddle time, something I need to increase to really move ahead. It is funny how all of my years riding trails etc growing up, can be so quickly overshadowed by real trainer time.






Last night we warmed up (relatively speaking in 40 degree weather) then went back and forth over an x a bit as a group. Then we switched to the x around to a panel around to an oxer. Might I add the oxer was a bit over 2', which looked huge to my novice eyes.

diagram stolen from Karley ;)
I watched Karley go then assumed our trainer would lower it for my turn. Uh no, apparently I'm in the big girl group now and get to jump the bigger jumps now. Well crap, guess I did ask for her to push me once I was riding again post baby, Silly me. Magic is pretty much a point and jump horse, which is nice, he doesn't always jump well but he will always jump. My problem isn't clearing the jump, its maintaining on the other side. I did finally start sitting back for lead changes from the x to the panel, but Mr Happy got a bit heated after my first time over the oxer and I got a bit flustered and stiff so it took a bit of circling and to get him back under control. My trainer had me go over the oxer again and again, until I didn't look so off balance, but man did my legs burn!

Things to work on:
Heels down (going to even start applying some gym time to this)
Soften up (relax nervous nelly!)
No stirrup work (sitting trot should equal no stirrups in my head at this point)

Since I only ride once a week these days it will take longer to achieve goals, and I am currently working on figuring out my next step riding wise. (ie leasing, buying, etc).

6 comments:

  1. You did great!

    Just remember all the nudges you gave me and I was on greenie beenie Henry :)

    Enjoy the rides on Magic- he will always take care of you :) Henry, not so much LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you on moving up the gears - great to have someone you trust to know your limits and just how much to push you. From L, K & your posts; your trainer sounds like a dream to work with!

    Best of luck figuring out "where to next with riding", lots of thinking, planning and calculating ahead - hope all goes well and can't wait t hear about whatever you decide.
    Love following your progress! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing fine, once a week isn't that much and with breaks thats a lot of time off! So give yourself some slack, you won't be Beezie Madden overnight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I won't be Beezie ever, but I do want to get comfortable with a decent level of riding, at least once I get increased frequency again

      Delete
  4. I'm a worry wort too - but I call it more extreme self preservation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that, 'extreme self perservationist'. I'll have to use that!

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!