A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Oh Rats!

            I had recently been hearing this  weight shifting and scratching sound coming from overhead when in our master bath at night. At first my ever-sleepy brain, kept thinking "gee the upstairs neighbors are noisy"... then I remembered I now live in a single story house... which meant my upstairs neighbors were not human or welcome.... Our best guess is recently a rat (or family) have decided to shimmy up our palm tree and scurry into our attic. ICK. The joys of living near open fields I guess....

I need this lil girl at home
           Anywhoo, back to horse world. Tues morning lesson started off with me running late, only to arrive and find the my trainer was running much later... So I leisurely got my stuff out, and started to meander out to fetch Magic, only to see a white blur tearing around the property. It seems another boarders horse was being walked to the mare motel after weeks of stall rest and decided to take a few victory laps while out. Why she was walking a pent-up TB without a stud chain is beyond me. He was quickly cornered and eventually succumbed to the lure of carrots. Much to his disdain, Magic got some extra grooming love.

          Once my trainer arrived we went down to our big outdoor since it was sunny and not particularly windy for once. The footing was crumby, watered but not dragged, but at least it gave me lines to follow right? Apparently it was two-point torture day and we did the normal WTC. I am still a nervous nelly when it comes to sitting a lead change, to me, it still feels like a bolt. Once again we did lots of circles, me constantly trying to keep them big and even, finally realizing (duh) to look ahead, like I do while driving. We also worked on half-halting, and backing, asking Magic listen to my hand, and not drag me around. I am a slow learner these days ;)

          Then we did a set of trot poles (3), the middle being about the size of a railroad tie. It was a great exercise in rate control because I couldn't keep posting if my rate was off. We did lots of random stopping and backing before and after the jump, until there was no assuming that we were going to rush over the poles.

Handsome boys-  Henry & Louie

Insta-goofiness


My trainer and I talked about my leasing Magic so get extra saddle time until I find myself my own pony. I love that that's finally a possibility... Ah, fussing baby calls...


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yea, he's not a friendly horse, but we are finally figuring each other out lol

      Delete
  2. Lol a white blur!! He is going to tie up again if he does that and then she doesn't cool him out!

    Glad you had a good ride! :) Love that Henry made a debut on your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a colony of roof rats that have decided my house is an awesome place to live. It is my favorite, slash not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its funny when I was a kid I had pet rats. Now they seem so dirty

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!