A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Wild Pony Herds and Horse Eating Trucks

Lesson on Tues am started with my trainer and the other rider running a bit late. I leisurely got Magic ready, not that he enjoys getting groomed. When we were almost ready, suddenly we hear a commotion and low and behold, one of the other trainers pastures had broke open, allowing her herd ponies to run amok around the property. It was really rather entertaining, since the property is relatively closed in, they kept circling the mare motel, Henry (All In), and my old lease buddy Louie were certainly amused.

Magic got a little excited in the cross ties, and was still a little up when  I got on. We did lots of trotting right off (ugh thanks Magic) with pretty much a stop and back along each side of the arena.  He was heavy and cranky but nothing really bad. We actually had to work on slowing his pace for the sitting and posting trot which was kind of nice to have some impulsion for once.  His canter was actually pretty well behaved, except at the horse-eating tractor side of the arena, we really had to keep working at bending and not cutting the corner.

The other gal riding, G, and I did some ground poles then my trainer added a little caveletti into the middle. It looked huge to me. Then I felt like a weenie because I knew it wasn't and that Magic would pretty much pack me over it if I keep him lined up, but I still got a bit nervous (aka stiff). When we switched to facing the horse-eating open side of the arena ,Magic started getting dumb after the jump, and since I am Miss Slow-to-react, he spooked at a truck parked at the end of a breezeway, just within sight. I tensed up, then after a breath got after his butt, but I always react a little too slow, so I have to fight him  longer. Then I had my big weeny moment, and pretty much begged not to do my trainers imfamous "one last time", wish got me a shut up, get over it... just what I needed.

Yes...its tiny I know ;)
 Of course Magic basically slowed  until he walked the caveletti so I had to do it again... but by then I was over it enough to not mind.... Ok so back to square one with jumping... awesome... argh... Oh well, gotta keep pushing.... and I've come to realize this is mostly just to have fun, if I never jump big that's ok, I am the financial provider to an amazing husband and little boy, I have to stay safe too.




I also should soon have some extra $$$ in the budget... like about perfectly the amount board would be...hmm... :)

3 comments:

  1. Yep, its for fun! Keep your goals fun and tailored to you and your needs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep your head up girl and don't let Magic sike you out! :) He's all talk lol!

    I love that you are pushing through and not giving up! Most people wouldn't push like this and that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more you do it the less scary it will be - I promise. I am a huuuuuuuuge wimp/weenie/scardy cat and I am slowly but surely getting more confident.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!