A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

All Smiles :)

Yesterday was nasty hot (like 102F) when I got to the barn. I tacked up Magic really slowly and just putzed him around the indoor arena. It didn't feel as bad in there, so i made him give me two laps of decent trot, then gave him two laps of at least moderately forward walk (not our strong suit). Did one good lap at a canter to the Left, then had to do 2 to the right to get a decent speed/frame, then cooled off. Got to watch Karley ride Henry bareback, good boy. 

Opted for a lesson this morning. before the threat of triple digits. Got to the barn early despite inching thru the morning commute. Dragged Magic up to the barn, grooming was easy since I had left him shiny last night. Tacked him up and... waited.... Trainer arrived a little late, then needed to clip another horse for upcoming show, so I did a quick turn out to get a few bucks out and got on. I did plenty of laps of posting trot and sitting trot while my trainer was in and out. 

There were lots of other people in and out at this point, making it interesting to work. The kids brought their pony in and set up a cross rail in the indoor. We did canter work each way, working on achieving a good gallop down the long sides, and collecting on the short side. Not pretty but eventually met my trainer's standards. By this point there was a fair amount of traffic, and after putting up the jump she decided we would go down to the outdoor (yay!). 


We went down and did a few laps at a canter to get their brains back to work, and after a huge trip near fall to his forelegs, Magic collected himself and we trotted a little wall. Then our trainer gave the girl on the pony a decent little course. After a few runaway lead changes, she got it, and my trainer turned to me and said, "ok you do the same". I must of sucked air a little louder then I realized because she told me to just relax and point him where I want to go. Oh yeah, I ride a packer... So I FINALLY  jumped my first full course, at least since I have been back to riding post-baby. I've done lines, and little combos, but never really full courses, and in my little chicken brain, this was HUGE. (My trainer lovingly calls me, not just a weenie, but super weenie).

sorry- not a Paint artist, especially on a touch pad

It was basically (1)baby wall, right (insert rough lead change) to (2) a wall and (3)x-rail (with a vertical pole thru it?) in a line, around right to a different (4) x-rail, around left to a (5) gate. Magic doesn't lead change that way so that brought about a quick simple change, then I went long to the gate... oops. Then we had to do the x-rail to gate again and he landed on the right lead but still stopped to trot ...oops... then we chipped in at the gate..., hmm... this eyeing the distance thing is hard... After the pony took another run, I did the whole course again. By this point I'm pretty sure I had been in the saddle for at least 1 1/2hrs so I was huffing and puffing, but just kept chanting 1-2-1-2-1-2 RELAX, and it worked. I wish I had video of it to watch (and entertain my few readers). 

new fly mask for a grumpy old man

6 comments:

  1. Congrats! Who cares how small it is? Course work is hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Your first full course is a big deal :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, it feels silly to have taken so long to gain confidence again, but hey, I'm older, less flexible, and now have a kid depending on me.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!