A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Finally some good rides

Having barely been on a horse last week, I am soo feeling my hacks of the last two nights. Luckily, they were oddly good rides. I'd love to take credit and say my riding has improved that much, but realistically poor Magic beast was just happy because he had the week off from lessons, and his owner was gone, so he had been sitting around munching hay for days.

Oh yeah, rocking the Beatles tee, fancy I know
Monday I pulled a relatively clean beast out and got him all ready to roll. Decided at the last minute to throw him in the round pen, and was quickly rewarded with some impressive bronc bucks. Hey look, I learn, get the crazies out before the ride whenever possible. Hacked in the indoor with Karley, enjoying the shade since it was still pretty toasty in the late afternoon. After a little initial encouragement, Magic was a nice, forward horse. It felt splendid having him in front of my leg for once, like seriously, I had to slow his trot. Yeah that never happens unless there's a jump in front of us. We did lots of walk/canter and trot/canter transitions. He picked up his leads and started off cleanly like the packer he's supposed to be. (Why does he not do this when my trainers there)?!  Cooled him out, rinsed him off, even did a little sheath cleaning but decided to leave that for a major bath day.

Ramone dwarfing Magic
Tuesday Came out late tonight since there was no lesson. Basically had a repeat of last night but with E and L also in the ring. He was a little twitchy at the open scary side of the arena, but I gave him more to think about and drove him into the corner more and more until he decided it was easier to just move into the corner then fight, albeit we were no where near as collected and proper as we should have been and there was a few crow hops, but hey no melt downs and running so I'll take it. Did some up and down transitions again, with Mr I'm-suddenly-forward horse. Ok, so I am no longer afraid of more forward action, it was nice not flogging a horse to maintain action. Now put me on something Ramone sized and it may take me a bit to feel comfortable with a giant stride, but at least it sounds reasonable again.

Hopefully squeeze a ride in Friday, but its my long work week, so we will see.

9 comments:

  1. You did a great job pushing him into the corners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, he's a funny, grumpy beast, but at least we understand each other now.

      Delete
  2. Woah, Ramone looks huge! Lol!!!! I'm so envious of all of the fellow bloggers in ONE barn.. :))
    Www.Sittinginthesaddle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, its a blessing and a curse, sometimes I feel like everythings already been said, but its also fun to read how we all viewed the same ride from our own view/ horses.

      Delete
  3. you guys sound like you're doing really well and having fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I know there will still be harder rides, but I will take a few nice ones.

      Delete
  4. Yahoo great rides :) Maybe he will actually be Mr Happy this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck yea he's had easy street all week. Probably back to grumpy next week lol

      Delete
  5. Sounds like some great rides. Love those :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!