A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Ups and Downs

Monday had another great ride. Magic clearly was still feeling pretty happy over his week of light work, and even though it was fairly warm, he was nice and forward. Its nice to not get nervous but happy with a more forward movement again. I popped him into the round pen and got all sorts of wild goofiness from him, without having to run around like crazy myself. 

 After he got his crazy out, we just did some nice WTC work with lots of trot-canter-walk-canter, transitions. I tried to mix it up since he assumes we are doing the normal lesson progression of work. It was nice having the arena to just Karley and I, less chance of running into anyone ;)

We only had one spook when the eventing trainer walked into her side of the barn, all backlit and hair flowing.. apparently revealing the devil incarnate to Magic, lol. Unfortunately I was adjusting my constantly-shifting-home stirrups and nearly got left in the air where Magic had been.

Other then that, just a nice ride. Not as into the corners, etc as I'm sure we could have been, but hey, not every ride has to be about fixing everything.







 Tuesday- Lessons were back. It was HOT. We all were sweating just tacking up. We meandered down to the dusty outdoor and began to sweat our way through our paces. L and I were on before Karley, so we had to do lots of sitting trot/ posting trot laps. Thank god we got lots of water breaks. We worked on lengthening and shortening our canter strides. Magic was back to his push push self, so it tool some work to get him to lengthen. He was ok to the Right, but we had a few big trips (i'm sure my eyes get huge every time). Then he was a super slug to the left. Finally on one lap I slowed down because I had a monster side cramp, and happened to look down at a horseshoe sitting nails up in front of us.... awesome. I had been talking up my chicken self about jumping the whole lesson, all the jumps were low, and I ended up having to sit out.... so is life lol. After L and Karley jumped like a champs we walked around the property to cool the boys out. Magic was goofy about being barefoot, any excuse to not work. Maybe I will get another lesson in, I need to get back over a jump, my confidence doesn't stretch over weeks of not jumping.


oh yeah, and horse shopping on a budget is a PITA. I'm not confident enough to do a total greenie (even though I dream about it), so there's not a lot in our area in my budget.... I'm actually getting tired of looking at horse ads lol.


9 comments:

  1. I would suggest waiting a bit longer - horses always get cheaper closer to winter...but then again, you live on the East coast, don't you? So that might not be the case. You'll find something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She lives on the West Coast :P

      Don't blame you, I'm glad I had Irene essentially doing the horse shopping for me I don't know what i would do if I had to do it primarily myself.

      Delete
    2. Haha I meant West coast :) I had a momentary brain fart.

      Delete
    3. Lol, I wish East Coast, I see cute horses up all the time from NJ. L, you would get used to hearing NO a lot lol.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I have some awesome video but I'm panting in the background lol

      Delete
  3. I like when we have the private arena Mondays too!! :) Not that I am opposed to sharing :)

    Homeboy had hops Monday in the round pen!

    Come on horses! Kat needs a pony! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only playing catch up on your news now, hope the horse hunt provides some rewards soon. Shall keep everything crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!