A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Horse Crazy!

Ok, so I have pretty much been doing something horse related for a full week, and the little horse-obsessed girl in me is loving it! Thursday I forwent sleep for my previously described lesson, Friday I again abstained from sleep to go look at a few horses, Saturday I couldn't help but cruise the family by the barn and watch the morning lesson gang and snap them some media. Sunday we went to Golden Gate Fields in honor of L being another year older but not aging. $1 beer, whats not to love ;)


Monday I hacked good ole Magic. I ended up having to come later, which worked out since his owner's kid was riding him at my normal time. This meant we had to have a quick hack all by our lonesome with pigeons making quite the racket over the indoor. Since he had already done some basic walk trot, I tried not to bore him with too much more and worked on transitions and that whole pesky collecting business. Did lots of different canter circles, different sizes, different areas (the plus of having a whole arena to yourself). Not much to write about, No big spook, no big break through. I'll take it.

I wanna live somewhere this scenic :)



Tonight we had our lesson. Poor Magic is in his fall/winter routine now, of short back to back beginner walk/trot lessons, then a mid-arena tack change so I can drag him down to the outdoor for more WTC and work him over baby jumps. At least it means I don't have to turn him out, and he actually gets happier when he sees he gets to do more then circle.

 Our trainer had us do lots of sitting to posting trot transitions. UGH. I have a hard time maintaining a good sitting trot consistently on him. Oh well, what's riding without the long list of rider fix-its lol. Went on to canter work , where Magic proceeded to trip and nearly pop my head off my neck, bright side, I am pretty sure a few vertebrae might actually be back to where they are supposed to be now. I got to jump a little course of a vertical, right back to a gate, left back around to a crossrail. It didn't feel great but once I RELAXED Magic didn't rush, and we went about just dandy. I am starting to finally see distances, which was something I never thought was going to happen. I still have to chant 'this is fun' to myself, but at least for brief moments, I believe that again. Then Karley and L jumped some crazy jumper/ handy hunter style courses, I could barely even remember enough to stay out of the way.

Tomorrow two horses (hopefully) come on trial. I'm pretty sure only one is really even a contender, but exciting non the less. :)

12 comments:

  1. Trials are very exciting -- good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "what's riding without the long list of rider fix-its" so true. I am excited for your trial horses, get detailed about it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you will know all the details, barns have big ears lol

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to see how the trials work out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope all goes well with the trials, super excited for you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, good luck with the trial horses :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. new ponies new ponies new ponies!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and you got to see first lol... well on home turf anyways

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!