A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Joys of Horse Hunting....

Last week had a horse brought out for trial.... owner forgot to mention she was a problem child when it came to little things... like ya know mounting.... One of the other super spring-y agile trainers hopped on her. She was a cute mover, and will prob work out fine for someone, but not me :(

Budget horse hunting isn't really that fun. I mean I like pouring over peoples poorly made videos and crappy cell pics as much as the next gal, but certain things have begun to truly drive me nuts.

Not the horse, but cute
Ad: Super crazy awesome horse for sale, absolutely beautiful, great H/J, calm, friendly, email for pics/ video.

Me: Hi, I'd love to see pics and or video of your horse.

Owner: What are you looking for?

Me (A gold-horned unicorn... You're horse wtf else would I be wasting my time/info) Insert generic response and ask some basic questions.

Owner: Oh, my horse has never done anything like that but they jumped a cross rail twice and totally loved it!

Me: Ok, so.... media...?

Owner: Insert small cell video of trotting and edited out transitions and awkwardly angled pics of horse in tack with Instagram tint.

Me: Repeat questions.

Owner: answer one question.

Finally get enough info to email trainer- horse gets nixed for x-y-z....

(wash, rinse, repeat)

I am sure i could get more done on phone, but I work weird hours and its kinda nice having written proof of what was discussed because my memory is worthless these days.

poor baby left behind
Last night I just hacked around a bit alone. Apparently poor Magic now has to do lessons before I ride Monday and Tuesday. Luckily they are pretty much less exertion then when I turn him out in the round pen, so its not like he's worn out or anything. I had a fat headache and was having a total blonde moment and totally hopped on without half chaps and spurs... uh yeah not so comfy... although I could feel Magic really well which was kinda nice. He was super happy I didn't have my little implements of torture strapped to my feet, and although sluggish, didn't spook or really misbehave once. Helps I didn't feel like doing much.

Lesson tonight, hopefully I can stay RELAXED while jumping and just let him do his thing. He's grumpy but so well trained.

Maybe going to try a horse on Friday, although I won't get my hoped up until I'm on the horse that it will happen.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know, its all the games along the way. At least i have a good pony to ride in the interim.

      Delete
  2. I hope you find a good horse soon. One thing I always heard was that you'll find lots of horses you don't want before you find the one you're looking for. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very true. Or lots of horses you want, but your bank account says no too ;)

      Delete
  3. It'll work out, but I know exactly what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah... I am totally not missing horse shopping. What you can get with your budget (unless it's mid-high six figures) was definitely an eye-opener for me.

    But be patient -- the right one will come along. It did for me, and I am SO GLAD I waited and passed on all the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I don't mind working, but i need a calm personality, no more perky Arab types for me lol

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!