A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Smiles

Today ended up being a hack instead of a lesson. I had work meetings in the am and since trainer's daughter just brought home her adorable baby, we were left to our own devices in the evening. 

Trainer suggested I should lunge Holly on the 'scary' side of the arena before hopping aboard. Since someone was running a very hyper horse around the round pen and the indoor was oddly devoid of riders, it was perfect.

Clearly my trainer had run some sense into her the day before because after a little bratty prancing and head tossing, she did some pretty nice laps, without making me work for it. I could see more lunging in her future :)

I got on before Karley or E made it into the arena. Holly was a little bright eyed, and had quite the speedy sitting trot the first few laps, but overall I couldn't be more pleased.

Lots of sitting trot then lots of posting trot, trying to maintain frame without losing impulsion. Not as easy without eyes on the ground. Holly barely looked twice at anything, and really overall was fun to ride. 

Cantered both ways throwing in some circles and transitions back down to the trot to keep princess guessing what was next. Another trainer came in with a beginner lesson, so since I didn't feel like playing dodge the pony, we cooled off and cleaned up. I love that she's shedding out, dried time has improved significantly. 

Was it a perfect ride? No. But I rode my horse and just enjoyed it. Very awesome.






8 comments:

  1. Love rides like that! Had one myself with Kika last night, not perfect but enjoying the experience with my ponykins.
    We're on the same wavelength :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rides don't need to be perfect ifyou are having fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, i'm happy if I just avoid the oh crap going to die moments at this point. Anything else is bonus.

      Delete
  3. It was a fun laid back night... well except when he's decided to be a dumb ass!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!