A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Monday, February 17, 2014

Weekend update

First off, go win stuff! Thanks to Equestrian at Hart for offering such a cool prize.

Valentines Day started with a rather mellow night/day at work, followed by me coming home to roses and a card... only to realize I had forgotten to buy one for the hubby.... Had to make up for that one later ;)

Got to the barn for a 10am lesson, just about right time-wise other than it usually being a little crowded in the arena. Luckily it was busy but cleared mostly out by the time I was jumping. Groomed up a mostly clean horse and ran her around in the still muddy/nasty/huge puddled round pen. Ugh haven't even tried wearing my tall boots, I refuse to get them that nasty. Holly practiced her prancing, bucking and slide stopping until she was sufficiently warmed up (and nasty) and I got on.

Had decent trot work, she holds her head fairly framed up now if I am paying attention and there's nothing scary around. Had to do a few laps of two-point followed by no-stirrup work. That will definitely help my leg strength, ugh. Holly was pretty mellow overall. Went to canter work, really tried to relax into it without getting chicken elbows. I can stay relaxed for a few laps then my back just starts to tighten up... (hmmm BoT back brace in my future)?

Moved onto jumping. It so weird plugging Magic around little 2'-2'6" courses, then having to work so hard over a little 18"-2'3" vertical with my mare. Anywhoo, got my wiggly mare over it back and forth working on the dreaded lead changes....

Ok maybe not this bad...

Changing to the left is actually pretty smooth as long as I give her the rein/space to do it. To the right is still really rough. Had a few I kinda wimped out of once I was bounced around half the arena, even with a ton of rein she's just not as balanced that way yet. Need to find the right amount of leg before the jump, so we stop getting that little add. Overall, didn't die, figuring it out, slowly relaxing into it. Very slowly lol.





Saturday ditched lesson (hey I did have 3 already this week) and got up early for some (ok one little 10oz) Pliny the Younger, woot! Also had a decent brunch buffet, which is awesome when your toting a toddler with you.



12 comments:

  1. Tequila!!! Lol :)

    Homegirl got her bootie kicked today so she should be good tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brunch is my favorite meal. I wish all meals were brunch... that is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, agreed, its the best of both worlds, breakfast and lunch!

      Delete
  3. Your waffles on instagram inspired me to make waffles on sunday! Glad you got some Pliny@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, thx. I want a belgian waffle iron now.

      Delete
    2. Our belgian waffle iron is probably my favorite wedding gift. It's amazing!!

      Delete
    3. Well our normal waffle iron is near death so now I have an excuse to get a belgian :)

      Delete
  4. I want a waffle iron too - USA breakfast are awesome!
    We need a brunch place like that here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love waffles, easy and you can add so many different things (although I'm totally boring and usually have plain or with fruit).

      Delete
  5. Brunch is the best. Also, Holly is looking good! It might not feel like it, but I see a ton of progress already!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, its hard to see from up top sometimes :)

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!