A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Good, The Bad, and Progress?

Ok, so I guess I'm behind, so I will try to keep it short....haha yea right...


So muddy- I want our arena back!

 Last Thursday had a good flat lesson. Ended up hopping right on Holly since she had been ridden pretty hard by trainer the day before. I was apprehensive, but she was super good, even with an arena full of horses, trucks circling the arena etc. A few baby spooks, but a very good girl. 


Friday she was a brat, we had a big spook at the side gate while cantering, she about tossed me off, I flopped about, got yelled at, and felt ashamed of my lack of riding ability in what was once again an arena full of mostly trainers and WS. Had another, why don't I sell this brat moment, felt really defeated (doesn't take much).


First course (I think, its kinda fuzzy by now)
Tuesday night trainer had me back on Magic, black schoolie beast. He had just finished a beginner jump lesson and after a few laps of "WTF lady I'm done" attitude he settled into the well schooled beast I really really appreciate now. 

We did some crazy jump patterns (for me anyways) and I was super stiff since I have barely jumped in the last several weeks, certainly not courses. Uh yeah, and like never oxers but at least she lowered the wedge to cross rails right? Once I relaxed a bit and figured out how fast you really need to look ahead with weird bending lines etc, it was more fun than scary, which is a nice change. 

(Left sound in for your entertainment)





Felt good to push my little chicken brain way past my comfort zone, and not die.



Cool sun halo
Wednesday had a morning lesson back on my princess. Trainer insisted I ran her around in the incredibly sloppy round pen. After a few impressive slide stops at the huge puddles, she mostly was good and figured out how to do laps around the edge, giving a little hop over the smaller puddle. She was not amused.

I finally was tired of running around in the mud, and decided to just get on. Holly wasn't horrible, she framed up if I kept contact and mostly only gave the hairy eye to things with a little scoot, not OMG we're going to die bolting.

I seriously don't feel like I will ever be able to comfortably site her canter and I don't know why. Its a big stride, but as long as you keep her moving forward its smooth. I just cannot get my legs/back etc to relax into it. Sigh.

Did a little vertical and worked on the dreaded lead changes. I get so tense expecting them to be rough, but if I asked quietly, she gave quiet changes, huh, imagine that. 






My big guy supervising

Pepper KITTY!!!

Gee, why'd you go way up there?!

12 comments:

  1. Don't be so hard on yourself!
    In the grand scheme of horse ownership H & you are still in the very early stages of the partnership & she's a green wee thing + a mare so sadly more up & down days than a gelding. They deff keep us on our toes!
    As to the canter, it sounds kind of like you're doing what I do and tensing somehow/somewhere (sorry I haven't yet figured out how not to - if I do I'll deff bottle it & send it to you) hopefully practice & repetition so it (and changes) are dull as dishwater and no longer a problem.

    Thems some impressive puddles, K & I would have a blast splashing through them - yes I am a giant child! Speaking of - yours is adorable in his blue wellies :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm frustrated sometimes at riding, most things I set my mind too I can do well, its hard not being able to just will myself into being a good rider. ;)

      Delete
  2. You did really good on Magic. It's a process and sometimes it feels like you are making no progress until you take a HUGE leap forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and yes, IDK why i keep looking for the big leap forward when I know its mostly baby steps.

      Delete
  3. Being soft is SO. HARD. but then when you are soft, so is your horse. But it's SO HARD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will definitely be able to sit her canter soon. I felt the same way about Simon at first, but it gets better and better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, its hard when trainer says she's easy to sit, and my butts flying up in the air.

      Delete
  5. Magic is such a good boy! I think he was telling you- trust me we got this Tuesday! :)

    Bahahaha that last picture cracks me up!! Pepper is too smart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More like lady could you just get this right so we can quit?! Yes, Pepper is well trained :)

      Delete
  6. Don't be so hard on yourself (believe me I struggle with this so badly), you guys are still getting to know each other. There are going to be lots of ups and downs with a greenie, but the fact that you're still trying speaks volumes! It will get better :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, always nice to know how many others struggle so you don't go around thinking its just you :)

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!