A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Taking off the Training Wheels

So as my confidence builds, I find my trainer is right there to push me lol. Jumps move up (surprisingly ok so far), more lead changes demanded, more details to nail down. No more ground poles all the time to help my pathetic eye for distances. And gosh darn it, the mare is just more fun to jump at least over 2'3". Time for me to step up.

Crazy pony



Looks light she's sniffing a laser ;)
Lesson Tuesday was crazy windy. Not the worst, but pretty dang distracting. Also meant me with a bunch of kids on ponies crammed into the indoor. L arrived later with E, and I got to play rail-bird and take silly photos with L.

Anywho, rode my princess in a new gag bit, which with its little swingy chain and offensive ability to stop her from dragging on me, really threw her for a loop. 

Eventually it worked and we had some really really nice frame, without her head sinking down, and gee golly my back wasn't nearly as sore, go figure.

Did assembly line jumping back and forth over an x then like 2'3" vertical, switching which way to turn afterwards.

Some minor startling when she saw Ramone in the roundpen, etc; but since I expected to see Dorothy's house flying overhead at any moment, Holly was soooo good, barely spooking at all, which is huge considering how bad she was when I got her.











Lesson Wednesday was just myself and another trainer's student in the huge outdoor. Ran Holly in the big bull pen (which means I run a lot more than she does) but there were ground poles and it was cute seeing her move over to jump them on her own.

Clearly taking work seriously

Went over a long line of trot poles to work on my ability to keep her straight, then worked on adjusting her canter, which is a lot easier in the gag bit. She has a big scoot moment, but came around and was fine the next pass, and considering how little we've ridden down there of late I expected some scooting.

Only used two jumps but sooo much work. A little X and an oxer. Yup I jump oxers now. Not sure why they were so scary. Frankly liked it better than the little crossrail because she was really forward to the crossrail and really half-asses the small jumps now, but she respected the oxer. I need to work on keeping my grip on my reins, I constantly fiddle with the length. Drives trainer nuts... and pony, and me...










Cooled off, and Holly got a good scrubbing, from forelock to lady parts (ugh). She's looking good considering she's been off grain for over a month now. She's gaining weight, go figure.


11 comments:

  1. Woot riding outside and having fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how we miss the outdoor arena by spring and then miss the indoor by winter. Can NOT imagine wanting to ride inside anymore lol.

      Delete
  2. I'm still trying to figure out my damn reins lol..

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, its progress, not always pretty but moving along :)

      Delete
  4. She is looking super and it sounds like you are having a ball together. I am so far of how far you've come since buying her, i cannot wait to see what the rest of the summer brings.
    Keep up the fab work! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, its not all easy but together we grow.

      Delete
  5. I love when she stretches her neck down over fences...looks fancy. You guys are looking like a great team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, she loves to teapot, sometimes its naughty, sometimes its fancy. Thanks.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!