A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Blog Hop: Continuation School



Why do I keep riding? Beats me. Its the one sport I can stick with, the one thing that raises my pulse uncomfortably that I still enjoy (I don't do roller coasters). It's my addiction, my drug, my release.

Pirate- half blind, all sweetheart
It all started really when my mom took me on a trail ride at about 9 or 10 years old. The love for horses seeped under my skin, into my veins, and settled into my heart.

I started volunteering and ultimately working at the riding stables from that time on through the summer after I graduated HS. I briefly owned an older QH, (who was more awesome than  I realized at the time). I only rode western (and endurance) and thought things like jumping were for crazy people (other than jumping the odd log on trail).




Then there was the 10 year dry spell.




Yep 10-ish years with only a handful of trail rides on friends horses or rent strings full of barn-soured horses.

Then I started hanging with Karley. She kept badgering me (in a friendly way) to come ride with her trainer. Me, english?! Jumping?! Heck no... ok, well maybe.... and so it began. Again.

Buster- such a good boy!
My hubby and I had been going to car shows, etc and certainly keeping busy but life just felt lonely without horses. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I was back on a horse, smelling that sweet manure and sweat smell, and loving it.

I lessoned, I leased, and now I own.

I keep at it, because despite the turning stomach as I first mount, the palpitations at the thought of showing, I really love it. It wards off depression, and keeps me social and outside. Despite the expense, I want my son around horses, and dirt and barns. And hubby has settled in, he enjoys taking photos around the barn and of people riding, and even has warmed up to Holly quite a bit.





Love my Holly


7 comments:

  1. :) I also don't do roller coasters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I used to do the spin rides, but now my inner ear says no to those too.

      Delete
  2. :) it's definitely pricey but I couldn't see myself doing anything else. Then I would be fat. So I do it for my health ;) mental and physical haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fatter before I started riding again. Which with my genetics takes effort.

      Delete
  3. You're welcome :)

    HAHAHAHA!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehehe good thing for friends like Karley! =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was quite the lucky find! As was finding such a great group of people riding with my trainer.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!