A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Friday, May 9, 2014

Pony Ride

Ok, I'm soooo behind, I'll work in reverse.

Wednesday lesson = pony ride... on Trooper that is. This is the pony that I almost bought before Holly. He has come so far since I first rode him, learning things like how to back up, and obtaining a real canter, not just trantering about because he was so out of shape and lazy. Now he's nearly a packer for two awesome kids that ride with my trainer.



Got to jump a bit. Felt totally different, and his little kick over the jump felt like I was going to fly over his neck, but was a great reminder to keep my weight back. I bounced a lot since my legs were already sore. I promise I'm not hitting his back like it looks.



Then since saddle fitter happened to be on site, I ended up yanking my 1-shoed pony out of turnout and hopped on to try some saddle's I really can't afford, but loved sitting in. Considering I literally tossed saddles on her and hopped on, I was impressed with how chill Holly was, we even did a bunch of decent lead changes (great test of how easy I can sit in a saddle).


Tuesday Night lesson= Made the mistake of arriving right in between kids lesson and our ladies night lesson so I ended up doing a lot more trotting while waiting for L and E to get on and kids finished jumping.

Holly had been a squealing, bucking nutball in the large round pen, including losing a shoe without my knowledge. She (other than tripping once or twice), never took a sore or fussy step all lesson, even with just 1 shoe on.

Yay for shiny ponies
L and I warmed up over a cross rail at a crooked angle, I had to confirm the line was wonky with L, but we just laughed and followed orders, and I was glad to see Holly will let me aim her at weird angles without fuss. Then we took turns doing series of 2 or 3 jumps. including the 2'3" oxer. I kind of had that, hey I'm finally comfortable at 2'3" moment. Almost wanted to jump more.




Overall Holly was good and I was good, and the lesson was good.




Last week= Ended up missing Tues night lesson, had a semi-ok flat lesson Wednesday, and blah flat lesson on Friday. Friday the WS had ridden her first, jumping some decent jumps well, but despite that she was kind of a brat to flat after. Someone thought she was done to early.



It was also Miss Holly's 6th Birthday (April 25th). She got schooled by WS and lots of carrots from mommy. I feel guilty not giving her b-day its own post, but hey, it happens.



The Saturday before I had lots of crappy indoor jumping for which a straight line could not be had. Left me feeling like crap. Video is on YouTube but I'm not inspired to share, despite a few awesome lead changes, it was overall pretty gnarly. Wanted to switch to trail riding and admit defeat. Then I remembered I get like that, and to just give it a few more rides. See above :)


...Back to present where, we did well, and if princess gets her shoe back on we will be back at it Saturday.

9 comments:

  1. Hope she gets her shoe for Saturday! Happy Birthday Holly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's back in action, ready to play with her twin!

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday Holly! :) I want that pony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's awesome, I'd regret not buying him, but I love the people that bought him, so its ok.

      Delete
  3. I did that last month. An ENTIRE ride missing a front shoe and you know what...to me he felt so sound that day. LOL...Go figure. That'll teach me to be lazy and not pick his feet before I ride!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I know, now I know to check her after she's a nutter in the round pen... and to buy some bell boots ;)

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday Holly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you look the most relaxed i've ever seen you on Trooper!! Looks like you had a great lesson on him :)

    Keep up the good work on Holly!!! And happy birthday to her!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm slowly learning to relax. Without alcohol lol.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!