A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Crossrails FTW


HAPPY EASTER!
 



So trainer deemed me ready to get back to jumping last Tuesday. I was a little late getting down to the barn so everyone else had pretty much finished by the time I was warming up.

Cookie?!
Did some ok WTC. Miss Crooked Butt and I had to work at not cantering down the side like a car with a bent frame.

Then we went back and forth over a tiny x-rail. Karley stayed to watch while cooling Henry out and cheer me on. Holly was awesome,  gave me great distances, (I will take no credit in helping her decide anything) I was just trying to hoist myself into a half seat without falling on her neck ;)


Thursday I came early with the "kids" (really one Beginner+ adult and one awesome but tiny 8 year old).  It was stupid windy out so we stayed in the dreaded indoor. Ran Holly around in the round pen before getting on. She was surprisingly chill which usually I take to mean she wants to lose her shiznit later while I'm on her back for more fun.

Since I was last on, I kinda got lucky and missed the dreaded drop your stirrup laps at the trot and got some lovely frame from my girl when I could keep us together.

From funny wiki article on jumping
Then trainer set up two jumps, maybe 18"-2' cross rail and vertical. Oh they're small, this wont be too bad. Ahem, never doubt my trainer's ability to push you as a rider one way or another.

Basically it was canter the x-rail towards the closed end, then a quick tight left turn/ rollback to the vertical, into the open side/corner where your horse can watch another horse going ape-crazy in the round pen and Dorothy's house flying by in the wind, then do a dirty lead change as she drops her shoulder into the turn. At least that's how it felt. Turns came fast, and it took lots of times for me to just sit back and let her change her lead etc.

The three of us riding were all huffing and puffing by the end, so at least I didn't feel completely out of shape comparatively. After I was done, remembered 8 year olds mom was there and totally would have video-d for me if I'd asked, D'oh!

I'm sure jump heights will quickly rise over next week or two. But when Holly was actually putting forth a good effort over the jumps, and I had a few jumps I felt myself settle into the perfect balance over your stirrup where you just feel right (even got a few "nice" from the trainer) and I remembered why I like all this torture so much.

3 comments:

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!