A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Sunday, April 12, 2015

Rough rides and Redemption

After Thursday's lesson, Holly was in the dog house. She had been spooky, and bratty, and I'm way too outa shape to fight all that. By the end, we had circled everything that might kill her a million times, jumped until we didn't totally suck at our distance and lead changes finally smoothed out (that one I take most of blame for), and if I hadn't watched one of the toughest little girls I know come off not once but twice, I would have been really bummed at my lesson.

But I had stayed on, and stayed with it. Back spasms galore, but as much as I wanted to hang up my spurs as soon as she revealed her Sassy side, I put on the big girl panties and rode it out. Small victory. Friday WS rode her and she was again a beast, refusing jumps (albeit a skinny ramp looks scary to me too) and general springtime shenanigans.

Feeling the burn
Yes Holly, this height is insulting
 Apparently she was thoroughly worked through her issues and today she was pretty mellow. WS hopped on first and warmed her up and jumped her over the respectably tall stuff. Then I got on and after some more trot and canter laps did some baby jumps. I find old habits are quick to resurface. She goes long, I sit up too fast and hit her mouth, then she's cranky and gives me nasty changes.
Need to work on my release
 
Thank you for flying Backseat Airlines...
Luckily since the height of the jump isn't scary I can recover myself and did ok most of the time. I even asked for a few more so I could get a little video. Immediately jumped horribly, because that's how it goes, but hey, I did ask for more.


(shout out to my hubby who got pics/video while holding 
a small infant and watching a 3 year old).

Hopefully, my broken car isn't too broken and I can put her back into full training for a month for a tune up. I don't have the time/energy/stamina right now to put in more than 3 days/wk.

14 comments:

  1. Haha she says more time out mom!! :) its that time of year before it so hot they are sluggish ... Spring crazies!!

    You are doing awesome! It gets better as your body gets stronger :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait til hot and sluggish season lol.

      Delete
  2. Sounds to me like you guys are knocking it out of the park especially with spring shenanigans - keep up the fab work and I hope the car is all healed up asap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for always having words of encouragement.

      Delete
  3. I think you two look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything considered, I think you both look great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I feel like I'm coming back pretty fast physically, its getting my head back in the game that's hard.

      Delete
  5. You guys look great! She's got a lovely jump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really cleans up over 2'6 - 3', kinda gets nervous higher than that, and lazy lower than 2'6". She's really maturing into a nice ride.

      Delete
  6. You are sticking with her and riding well! It'll only get better. Hope your car repairs aren't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, we've kinda back-burnered the car since we don't need two cars again quite yet. I know it will get better, its stomaching the in between that's hard ;)

      Delete
  7. Looking good!!! It'll all come together before you know it!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!