A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Friday, October 18, 2013

Quickie

Ok, so nothing super exciting in New Horse Land, just working our way along. Trainer rode lastThursday, and the WS rode/ jumped Holly Fri and Sat, and all who have seen her said she was great.

baby head-gear
She still has many things to work on to be my H/J queen, like picking her head up in general, let alone when she's hurdling herself over objects. This has greatly improved since my trainer switched her to a snaffle gag bit last week. My uncoordinated self finally graduated to double reins lol. The gag action is working perfect at getting her to lift her head and break at the poll, and in just a few rides I am amazed at how much better her frame is.

Monday I rode Holly in the indoor because it was super windy, while my trainer rode her QH. (I swear she sees more while she rides). We were all good until her horse decided some random change outside the arena spelled eminent death for us all, and spooked and spun. This of course caused Holly who was also at the open end to assume we were also perilously close to death and spin and freak. (Why does this always happen when your walking on the buckle-argh). I managed to awkwardly stay atop while taking up my reins, and quickly convinced her we were not going to die. She settled pretty fast and reminded me to pay attention to what she's paying attention to, she is still a baby, calm or not.

Tuesday I arrived for an earlier lesson, brought Holly up to groom, only to find a horse had died suddenly, and very close to the barn. I groomed Holly and turned her out (not that she did more then graze) and offered any help/ solace I could. It was horrible thinking of losing a beloved animal so suddenly.  Went home and hugged those I love.


I had a lesson Wednesday and this am, but I'll save that for another post once I edit the hubby edits some pics he got.

And good luck to L and Karley in their show tomorrow!











Barn baby :)


1 comment:

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!