A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Decisions, Decisions...

First off, I joined the sit-up challenge, yay for finding my core muscles that were already hibernating for an early winter. I didn't start until the 3rd, so I figured I have 2 days of penance to make up at the end (or just add the sit-ups on near the end). I'm kind of having to mix crunches with full sit-up, my back doth protest full sit-ups too much.





On to other such news... I went and tried a horse last Friday. She's an adorable 5 year old appendix. She was very calm, and sweet on her home turf. She's a western pleasure/HUS reject of sorts, so its very different riding a pony who constantly tries to drop her head between her knees and do that thing they call cantering.

The owners were kind enough to trailer her down to our barn for a trial after they took her to a show last Sat. So now I've ridden her around our barn, lunged her, run the gamut of grooming, bathing etc and overall really like her brain and demeanor. Not many 5 year olds can be pulled out of a stall on a windy day in a new place and just give the occasional hairy eye.


I had a lesson on her Saturday, it was awesome getting to ride with the Sat group, even if I was exhausted from work and the super crazy dusty wind didn't show my sore throat any love. I learned I still really need to work on independence of hands and body, as Maybe Pony got heavy I found myself getting dragged forward, making things like two-pointing harder to maintain. Sh'e pretty heavy on the forehand and a little downhill so there's lots of growing to do.

Did lots of WTC with two-point at the trot and canter, and worked on our really really bouncy sitting trot.

L and Karley jumped first, then L hopped on Maybe Pony to see how she did over things that weren't poles. She did great, she's not too sure about this whole trotting up to jumps, and the little panels were definitely new to her, but she just gave them a hard glance and bounced over. Still needs to work at cantering out and ya know everything else. L commented that she felt super small and bouncy, which (1)validated my feeling that she was, and that its not just me lol and (2) cracked me up since she's 16h, so she's actually a bigger horse to me, just not a gigantic beast like Ramone, shows how quickly L's adapting to her baby.

So Maybe Pony's vet check wasn't perfect and after initially freaking out pondering upon these issues, I'm moving forward to x-rays on Monday. My trainer doesn't really think they are red flags, and I really really hope she is right. As long as she doesn't have anything crazy show up, I likely have my new pony.... Obviously many more details and all sorts of media if it all goes through :)






Also realized I have a fair list of things I need....

-bridle  (I don't think my one-ear western is gonna fly),
-open front boots and rears  (she doesn't fit any boots I have currently argh) ;P,
-half-pad  (prob going more towards a gel/ foam if I get Maybe Pony),
-blankets  (starting with season appropriate)
-cooler
-buckets for grain etc (skinny pony)
- I am sure a million other things... luckily Christmas is right around the corner, and some of these aren't so horse specific that I can't get them even if i don't get her.

Tomorrow, hack then x-rays.... ...








17 comments:

  1. One thing that a lot of those HUS horses get from that career is broke to death very early on! Glad you like her and keeping my fingers crossed that the x-rays go well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed! Hopefully everything comes up clean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed for the xrays! I used to show the AQHA all-around with my gelding, so I know how that is. They get pretty darn broke to a lot of things, but the hardest part of retraining, for my guy at least, is getting them to think forward! And I still haven't figured out how to get him to walk normally, instead of the SUPER slow WP walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea,, her version of forward is a little too laid back right now lol

      Delete
  4. I hope everything works out with this horse. By the way, I'm also doing the sit up challenge. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. argh, its hard already, but we will look better next summer right?!

      Delete
  5. Yay! I love love love love LOVE reject HUS AQHA horses as hunter prospects :) Think that is a great way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, especially since lately there's been a shortage of reasonably priced sane horses that aren't totally green.

      Delete
  6. You gotta love Appendix ponies! And I promise, their heads do eventually come up to "normal level". :) Sounds very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, good to know, the peanut rolling has got to go ;)

      Delete
  7. I was just thinking how strange it is that 16h feels small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I smiled when you said that the other day... She is narrow though :)

      Delete
  8. Crossing fingers for you! Hopefully this works out. She sounds like a keeper. Solid pony with lots of room to grow with you :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!