A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Saturday, November 23, 2013

1st World Problems... my saddle isn't working for us....

OK... a quick (ok really long) recap...

Fire in the Sky!


I rode Holly Thursday in the indoor because it was foggy and cold. We did some jumping, not super pretty. We finally ended up just practicing coming off the jump and stopping straight into the wall since I was a spaz with turning. Surprisingly hard, she was determined to turn, wiggle, etc. Got my spurs taken away half way through jumping, so that way my weak leg wasn't bumping miss-touchy-sides coming off the jump. Took Holly out of the arena and hacked down to the CC stuff. She likes that area, we walked over the little stuff a couple times, and called it a day.



Saturday rushed to the barn after a totally awesomely grueling night at work and rode Magic. It was cold and windy again so we rode in the indoor. The usual WTC stuff, then everyone else got to go hack out and I got flogged over a cross-rail and lattice panel. Its nice getting to feel myself do it right with Magic (mostly), so I can not be such a spaz with my mare. My in-laws stopped by to steal the boy, so it was kinda cool having them see me jump. They called my trainer a 'task manager', my MIL is so polite ;)



Tuesday night I had a lesson on a very bright eyed mare. She really just scoots and slides, but still it takes up a lot of my energy getting her to just work, but I love that she gets over stuff  after a few laps. She always comes back to you whether she's nervous or pissy. Honestly I felt a hot mess the whole time, like I was pitching and sliding forward, I couldn't keep my legs forward enough, and kept curling up.



Insert Wednesday morning, I rode in one of my trainers saddles... a old, amazing Butet.... Uh yeah, my Pessoa (which I liked until now) to an amazing, soft, balanced Butet with a bigger pommel, deeper seat, better blocks, etc. It was like suddenly I could ride. Wait, its not all me?! My trainer instantly commented on the difference, I was able to sit my mare's canter, shoulders back, heels down, not falling on my face..... So.....


my Pessoa
Butet

Any idea's on middle of the road saddles? I need a deeper seat, more forward flaps, with decent knee blocks (kinda dug the thigh blocks too)...

Obviously its kinda a need to try in person thing, but any ideas of what brands/ models I should look at? I totally don't mind used, but need to be around the <$1000 mark (since I will have to sell my cheap western saddle and the Pessoa to raise funds).Otherwise I'm just perusing the super used Butets, hoping someone will need to sell on fast and cheap ;)


7 comments:

  1. I'd try to find a used Butet.I can help find stuff and send you links :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, that's what I'm thinking too... Im trying to figure out how to read the saddle codes to get one like H's. Always take help ;)

      Delete
    2. Contact Beval and ask them to decode Heather's.

      Delete
  2. You can call happy trails and see what they have and try bayequest :)

    Oh the saddle shopping - I'll be your shoulder to cry on ;) lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, budget shopping is always less fun ;)

      Delete
    2. I got a killer deal on my Sellier V (custom off shoot of Antares) from the Stanford Tack sale. You can contact them, all their saddles are 50% off retail. The downside is no trials...

      Delete
  3. Ugh -- I need a new saddle too (look for a misery post on that soon). If I had unlimited money, I think it would be fun, but since I don't, I'm not really looking forward to it, haha.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!