A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Share the road

This month apparently is going to be about wonky work schedules and flexibility, so instead of Monday morning and Tuesday night, I rode Tuesday morning. I was supposed to ride Magic to do some jump schooling, but since my trainer woke up sore, I ended up having a flat lesson on Holly. It was fairly crowded in the indoor because it was a bit foggy cold still, with even a little bit of light rain. After running again like a nutball in the round pen (never mind she had just been turned out the night before and ran like a wild pony), we got to business.

She was pretty easy to keep from gawking at the many things going on outside the arena, but she apparently has some spatial issues with other horses in the arena. This is kinda surprising to me, since she's done the breed circuits with her last owner, so she should be used to this by now. Which means its probably me. Awesome. She was doing ok until another gal came flying across the arena doing a lead change (and frankly caught us both off guard with how close she got) which sent Holly into a little tizzy, spinning and scooting away. Which was kinda badly timed since I was currently standing and weighting my stirrup to adjust my saddle. I pitched outward and got a nice close-up view of the wall but luckily held on with minor spazziness, much to my trainer's
amusement.

OMG I hear clippers! Lucky not for her...yet
We worked on having a nice frame, then letting her stretch out and relax at the trot, as long as her head stayed out of peanut-roller territory. Also did some shoulder/ haunches in, working on getting her hind end to move better off the leg. I was surprised no jumping, but frankly my back hurt so I wasn't going to push it. I then hacked her around the property, all the way up to our old arena, where she was a little looky/ light in front but came back to me, and relaxed. Although her last owner took her out on trails, she clearly hasn't hacked out alone much, I hope to use the good weather left to hack her around more after lessons, I think its good for their brains, and I kinda like walking her around all out little CC stuff like the bank and logs.


And princess got some new boots. Trainer got them for cheap because they weren't marked from the local tack store. We will see how she does with the neoprene, but I like the way they look (next time I'll remember to take a photo of them on).





11 comments:

  1. I love the pretty boots!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. They're a total pain right now because so stiff, but i must admit my inner tack ho is loving them

      Delete
  3. Man Ira finds the best deals!

    Yay for not falling off and hacking out alone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she does, helps knowing practically EVERYONE in our area.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. thanks! I'm slowly acquiring things...need more....sooo much more.... :)

      Delete
  5. Love the boots! I want a leather pair for Miles... cause I think he'd look better in brown leather than the black plastic we currently have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to find them kinda boring, but really they look so clean, especially on bays (IMO)

      Delete
  6. Won't lie... I want fancy boots like that! It wouldn't go so well with my barrel saddle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, maybe not... guess you'll have to get an english saddle to match ;)

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!