A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Brrrr...This is not Cali Weather - Challenge Day 5

No lesson tonight, so after watching another trainer's students jump a big oxer a few times, I finally ran Holly around the round pen until she seemed to have taken the edge off and got on. Karley was already done so it was just E and I initially. Holly and I got right to work and did some sitting trot, both of us struggling to accept being forward with contact. I moved into a nice forward posting trot, with mixed results on frame, but hey we're working on it.

She was actually being really good considering my trainer had text me the previous day telling me she was "very bright". Then another gal entered the arena and hopped on her little mare. The owner is sweet, but the horse is super spooky, so of course she thought she was going to die as we were just passing her on the closed end of the arena so Holly took off like the hounds of hell were nipping her heels. We settled ourselves, got our bearings and got back to it. I had my I-don't-wanna-deal moment, and then we went back to the suddenly safer open end of the arena, and let the other owner work her mare through her thing. Cantered both ways, it was wiggly. but I worked really hard at sitting back, and finally started to feel where my body should by (non-fetal riding).

Cooled her off, and someone got her new blanket. It was a super steal on Cyber Monday. Hollyberry Plaid. Very fitting for my princess.

Real lesson tomorrow, ugh. Trainer rides, Thurs, Fri, Lesson Sat and poss show Sunday.



-----------------------

Challenge Day 5      Holy moly, I completed a challenge... ok well not in 5 days, but I at                                              least got the 5 posts in, and updates to boot :)

-----------------------

21. Favorite class to watch at shows.

What i'm watching depends on where I'm at. I love watching team penning, and I love photographing bronc riding. I also love watching anyone jumping big. I love seeing that hang time, and how well a horse and rider can work together. Since I really only attend schooling shows of late, I like watching the jumpers (ooh bright jumps) and the little pony's flying pigtailed girls over baby jumps.

22. Whats in your cooler at shows.

Basic stuff. Legal drugs, sandwiches, water, lots of water. Gatorade if its hot, and lots of snacks. I don't like to eat when i'm nervous, but man I could eat half a cow when I'm all though. 


23. One thing about showing (or riding in general) you wish you 

could change.

Didn't I answer this already? Still the money. This is was too expensive of a hobby. I keep thinking, start a photography business, make Holly my mascot, then she's a write off right? I think I just need to get creative. ;)


24. Your ringside crew.

Ha, we will see. My trainer and my poor husband. I know my mom would be there too, but lets be real sometimes moms are a lot of work. 


25. Best prizes. 

My first Endurance ride I won a t-shirt and a buckle. It's not super fancy, but after 50 miles I was dang proud of it. We ended up riding alone, my first endurance ride. It was my 18th birthday and through the Santa Cruz mountains, ending at the ocean. We almost fell down a steep cliff, and other such awesome events. 

7 comments:

  1. I love that her blanket is called Hollyberry Plaid. To perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BAHAHAAH #21!! "Basic stuff, legal drugs..." ROFL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blanket... dang I missed the energy boost- good for you for working through it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love that it fits and is pretty, double win! Yea, she was better today at least.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!