A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Challenge Day 3 and Flying lead changes...kinda...

Tues night had my cold solo lesson. Lots of jumping, angled at the wall. Really pretty fun. Then we tried lead changes. I understand why they haven't been worked on much before I got her. She has quite the kickout. Trainer told me not to practice alone... ha, silly trainer, that wasn't even on my radar... 


Weds am, flat lesson in 38F weather with a nice chilly wind chill. It was cold, did lots of lengthening and collecting at the canter. Good work, but my legs were already burning. I think with some more muscle, her canter will come together more, because Tues night she actually collected after jumping and showed me a glimpse of a much more uphill, comfortable canter in there somewhere.


5 Day Challenge - Day 3

---------------------------------

11.  Critique Your Horse's Conformation

Ok, so I may need to take some conformation shots...

Paddling along...

So, if you break my mare apart, she's not amazingly well put together. She is a hair butt high. She paddles at the trot (albeit I think its kinda cute). Her front legs are her big negative. One is more upright, they angle inward a bit, and her navicular bones likely would break down fast if she was jumped high and hard often. 

Overall, I think she has an adorable head, and a nice TB like body. With some better muscling, and fat she should be mighty purdy come summer :)



Tweaky front legs

12.  Horse's Favourite Riding Exercise

Ha, walking on a long rein? No, really, she may not like having to trot to a jump, instead of just putting her head down and cantering like she used to, but she really does seem to enjoy jumping. So far she doesn't get to do anything crazy, but she doesn't get particularly fazed by height or oddness of a jump, just gives a bit of a hairy eye while she flies over.


13.  Favorite Spa Day Products

I'm an old school Show Sheen fan. It gets the job done. Other then that, I haven't owned my horse long enough to acquire all the fun grooming stuff yet :)


14.  Three Best Things About Your Horse

1. She's mine. Its taken a long time to be able to say that.
2. She's very sweet, she has her moments, but overall she's very honest and good natured.
3. She comes back to me. She may think the shirt on the ledge will kill her, but she spooks, then gets back to work, no long drawn out theatrics. She's just al ittle jumpy like me ;)

15.  Favourite Picture of Your Horse

Haven't taken it yet. Really, I have a few pics I want to get of her, but now its winter, and she's fuzzy, so I leave you with just a couple pics, including one of us jumping, reminding me I can do it without dying.
Well, she looks lovely anyways


Works in Progress




3 comments:

  1. Love 14.3 :) I love that too.. Do a little spook and get over it, don't act like the world is ending - gives me a better chance to not come off too when they don't freak out half way around the arena lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? And can we keep it to just one area of the arena, the whole thing can't be scary lol.

      Delete
  2. Mine, all mine. It's so nice to be a horse owner again, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!