A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Challenge Day 2 - my days blur together ok?

Ooh camera!

Saturday a bunch of us just hacked around the outdoor arena. It was nice and relaxing, my princess and I have not really had much down time riding, so while I have photographic evidence we didn't always maintain a nice frame, and I still have chicken elbows, we had a nice ride. 



5 Day Challenge - Day 2

6. Favorite equestrian book and movie?

Umm.... So its not necessarily my favorite, but when I was a tween I read "A Horse Called Holiday". It was super cheesy, but the girl was a super brave jumper and fell in love with a horse she basically got for free. I still thought jumping was crazy back then, but it was the first thing to spark my curiosity about jumping and the plausibility of me ever trying it.

Movie wise, I pretty much can enjoy any movie with a horse in it. Although the guy in War Horse drove me nuts! My first 'horsey' movie was "The Last Unicorn", ok, not quite a horse, but who wouldn't want a unicorn? This movie seriously haunted me for years, until I finally tracked a copy down. Much to my hubby's annoyance amusement I still get a hankering to watch it occasionally.



7. Most common riding misconception?

I agree with most, that the horse does the work. I wish they did, I'm sore more days then not. Some horses are pretty amazing packers, but there's still certainly some muscle use on both parts. 

8. 2 riding strengths and 1 riding weaknesses?

Ok. Strengths: 1. Umm...Ummm....ok... I'm to stupid too quit? Really its a positive, I get scared, beat up, worn down, but I keep going. 2. I can be taught. I actually have pretty fast comprehension when not scared outa my wits. Sp those moments when I'm riding, but not feeling eminent death, I'm quite receptive to being taught.

Only 1 weakness? But there are so many to choose from.... Fear. I am a nervous person, I worry about practically everything, so obviously hurdling myself on a 1000 lb animals over jumps isn't exactly a calming thing for me. I get tense, then I ride not-so-awesome. Nothing some hypnosis and whiskey can't fix right?

9. Least favorite thing about horses and/or riding?

Besides it being a complete money suck? Not having enough time/ resources to be at the barn more. I would love to live closer to my horse.

10. What do you feed your horse?

Currently balancing out her Oat hay/ grass/ alfalfa. Then there's the (hopefully) temporary grain: senior/ strategy mix. Her grain is also getting spiked with Mare Magic to see if it takes the edge off. She seems calmer, but I don't want to assume that its truly helping yet.

Love when we can both just relax

14 comments:

  1. I totally consider a unicorn a horse :) glad I'm not the only one who gets nervous jumping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Last Unicorn is the first horse movie I can remember watching. I used to watch it daily as a kid. I'll have to see if I can find a copy, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a good movie but I always got really bummed unicorns didn't exist.

      Delete
  3. Holly is so pretty! You guys look great -- you're way too hard on yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely lovely photos as always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll say thanks for my personal photographer 😉;)

      Delete
  5. Pretty sure I watched The Last Unicorns on VHS 1000 times as a kid. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I wasn't the only one obsessed with it as a kid

      Delete
  6. That first picture of Holly is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm pretty sure she's learned to look pretty for the camera, now if only I could learn that ;)

      Delete
  7. bahahaha you crack me up! Your #1 strength!

    Saturday was super nice weather, laid back and a great ride for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!