A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Eating dirt

As my title suggests, I finally had my long overdue fall. ... but we will start at the beginning...



Got to the barn bright and early and chatted with the shoer while I tacked  up Magic. Magic was really being  lazy in the corners so I did lots of work to really push him into the corner and getting on him quickly when we was naughty or distracted. apparently he got bratty with one of the beginner lessons yesterday so our trainer had me not let himslack on anything. I felt much better with keeping my shoulder back, butt under,hands up (it helps when someone is constantly yelling at you when you don't lol). He was overall pretty good considering there were others doing ground work and riding hyper little arabs around us.

Next we went back and forth over a cross rail. We worked on going straight and me sitting down for his lead change when he didn't land on the correct lead. My eq is fairly ugly, but I felt pretty stable when I could remember to unhook my knees and sink my heels. It was interesting since I had to just trust that the trainer was going to keep moving out of my way, even she forgot and just scooted out of the way in time at one point.

Then the cross rail was changed to a 2ft vertical and I was told to canter. I took an extra circle to get him even and approached the jump. Admittedly I get so distracted, others moving, keeping heels down and knees open, trainer shouting.  I was trying to count my strides but honestly still have a horrible time and rely a lot on my horse to figure it out.... Which for Magic meant taking a huge, long leap, which I bounced way up out of the saddle with, leading me to land barely on the neck. Looking back of course, I think I should have fought to stay on, but I figured if I tucked and rolled, I'd be fine, my feet would get under me..... or not... I landed on my butt, hard,and felt my lower back twist and compress, and just explode with pain and spasms.I must have done something weird with my shoulders and neck because they are now sore too.    

I haven't actually come off in years and this was the first time I couldn't just bounce right back up. I laid face planted in ( luckily a  softer part)  of our indoor  mostly surprised at how much I hurt. Then they started asking about wanting an ambulance and I thought of  the horrible backboard, etc and sucked it up and gimped out of the arena. I really wanted to be tough and get back on, but being the sole income for my family I knew I have to be realistic and careful. I hopefully just have some seriously kinked up back muscles, thank god I keep some good stuff around for times like this. If I can move i may take a flat lesson on Thurs                                                                                                

5 comments:

  1. Falling is never fun :( Hopefully you pop right back (maybe pop a Flexiril).

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear that you took a tumble!
    Hopefully the aches and pains are easing today!
    Gentle HUG!
    Wishing you a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,I'm still pretty sore,but no pain, no gain :)

      Delete
  3. Boo for falling! I hope you are feeling ok and are able to get back in the saddle soon! :) You now don't have to worry about falling again till 2014 haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! Hope you are feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!