A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Sharing is caring


TUESDAY- Opted for a morning lesson hoping that it would be cooler and I would get to ride inside where it usually feels safer. Yeah, paid for that one.

My trainer hopped on her QH Frosty and I quickly tacked up Magic and started warming up. Then in came the western trainer at our barn and her WS, who apparently just had to sack out her horse before she rode. Now she did ask, but really why on earth would you even try to run around your horse with plastic bags on a stick while others are trying to have a lesson?! There's a round pen like 50ft from the indoor. So my trainer said she could try but she wasn't sure how Magic would handle it.... He didn't. Poor guy had to push towards the scary outside edge of the arena to get away from the poor Arab being eaten by a bag. We worked thru it a bit, then thankfully the other trainer decided that was enough torture for everyone and quit. I just thought it was a bit selfish to even try it with others around, in a lesson no less. 

 Kind of set me into my defensive, weaker self for the rest of the lesson. Did the usual WTC then did some counter canter work, which I can't remember the last time I worked on. Did better his 'bad less bendy way' to the left go figure, then had a grueling time getting him to stay counter on the right. I couldn't seem to keep enough bend/ leg pressure to keep him from swapping leads. I at least got used to sitting his lead changes finally lol. Overall, it was a good learning experience and definitely a work out.

Went home and came back and got to watch the night ladies ride. Got some pics and video for my trainer of her wenglish horse, L's blog had details :) It was fun getting to just sit and watch everyone ride, I ride with some pretty inspiring chicks :)





FRIDAY- Sat around for like an hour debating if I wanted to drive all the way down to the barn and squeeze in a ride before work. Decided, duh, of course  I did. GOt down to a super windy, have deserted barn. No one was riding in the indoor, and no one was on our side of the barn. I figured I'd turn a very lookey Magic out before hopping on since I was alone. Glad I did, he blew up a few times in the round pen, mostly because there was a big box truck unloading furniture to the house right next to it. Oh yea, that will settle him down, lol. Finally pulled up the big girl panties and hopped on. Just did a bunch of trotting, worked on bending way into the corners and maintaining a consistent speed (not well but tried). Admittedly stayed towards the closed end of the arena, did a few decent canter laps and cooled off, cleaned Mr Happy and left. He is super shiny and keeps getting complements, which  I totally tease him about, grumpy old man.









5 comments:

  1. Ever ride makes us stronger :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps. i love the double standards at our barn ;) NOT

      Delete
  2. That would bother me too with the bag flapping during your lesson :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pity about the flapping during your lesson, but yay you for working through it and getting some good work afterwards. :)
    Counter canter is something Kika & I only do when i'm being a numpty and can't tell she's on the wrong lead...happens more often then i care to admit!
    *blush*
    Magic is looking smashing & I love the headshot of Frosty - another shiny, happy & healthy horsey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I've done my share of "oops" counter-canter too lol. At least it feels more obvious now ;)

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!