A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Good Boy!!!

Tuesday- Lesson day. I still get irrationally nervous before lessons, it drives me nuts because part of my brain is like "hey weenie get over it" and the other half of my brain is like "but I'm gonna crash and die". Its a rather annoying internal power struggle between my inner chicken and my rational self. Karley went down to the lower arena initially to lunge Henry and I did a bunch of laps at a nice (kinda) forward walk. We went by the 'spooky' side of the arena several times to get that over with, and Magic was unimpressed. Karley came back in and we started to trot, sitting was good, then some posting and two-point, then the dreaded no-stirrup trotting. We did a few laps of leg burning awesomeness then our trainer stepped away to help L bridle the new greenie and left us circling without stirrups. Yup, I have a lot more leg work to do. Magic was pretty much ignoring my leg, but certainly came to attention with a little whip. After some big kicking/ buck action requiring some corrective action, he became the more forward horse I was asking for. 

We jumped a big crossrail (j/k it was like totally small) with trot polls before hand. Henry was hilarious, he was prancing Karley over the trot polls like some big fancy pants. Magic was nice and responsive, I finally see the desire for a horse to be forward to the jump instead of always having to push push, its easier to slow then be kicking like crazy while trying to balance. 



Hopefully video will upload, about half way through you see Me jump then my trainer keep looking down and then slap her leg and laugh. That was at me almost eating dirt. Ha ha. We were working the rail on the right side of the arena, and since I am always yelled at for drifting, I came off straight then asked for a lead change in a ridiculously tight turning space. Magic jarred me up to his neck and did the best thing ever, he stopped! He got a big hug ( I was already on his neck) and a good boy. I have seen him duck out of riders, and certainly tried it with me. He had me in perfect positioned to toss me into the arena wall, but he didn't. It felt good knowing he didn't always want me off, even if it does mean he's babysitting me a bit, hey he's jumped a lot more than I have, that's ok with me. 

 I had a few jumps that got an 'excellent' from my trainer, but someone's big chestnut was in front of the camera ::cough, Karley, cough:: Of course after my 'one last time' jump I did it well but still had to go again, and yet I'm still surprised, lol. 

Cooled Magic while watching L on the new greenie, possible project horse. Very green, but looks smooth and willing. Not sure about further riding, my mom's having surgery Friday so kinda throws my next week into the unknown...





11 comments:

  1. He does those trot poles like a champ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, he does super easy work smashingly well with a chicken on his back ;)

      Delete
  2. I hope your mom's surgery goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha that was a NICE chestnut horse blocking the camera- so fancy!!! :)

    You and Magic did good :) Getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS Henry just needs the polls set farther apart then the little strided horses... we are just special :)

      Delete
    2. Lol, why he looked so cute ;)He was just showing off his springiness

      Delete
    3. dancing in place? hahahahahahahaha!

      Delete
  4. Lol I felt the same way tonight re crashing until I started jumping and began to relax. Practice makes perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, practice practice practice, now if /i could just get over the willies it would be fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear about your progress, i used to get nervous before lessons when K was being a plank - but I needed that someone on the ground to keep me in the saddle and brain disengaged - if that makes sense. However now I really look forward to lessons and in fact *le gasp* have been known to seek them out as things are going well so I want to jump on the improvement band-wagon and keep things ticking over while the going is good. :)

    Hope all goes well with your mom's surgery! Will keep you all in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!