A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Monday, July 22, 2013

Radio silence

Spent the last week with a horse on trial. Didn't work out, which left me more bummed then I thought I would be, even though I wasn't expecting it necessarily to.  Basically he was 8, very very cute, very agreeable to trying new things, and just financially out of my reach (where's my fairy godmother when I need her?). I won't really go into details about the horse, since he is not mine to talk about. At least I was able to ruminate on some things about myself and where I am at as a rider.


yes I am crooked,
 we had some slippage issues lol
1.) I like ponies. The horse was tech 14.2 so yup, at a point I was feeling I could step up in size, my trainer brought me a pony. I forgot how fun it is to be on a horse so close to the ground (bring it on pony, I can practically step off your butt!). I did feel like the little kid of the group when standing next to all my big TB riding buddies. I think I could go either way with horse size at this point.

2.) I like paints, a LOT. I kinda have an OCD issue with crooked blazes and asymmetry but other wise,I love big splashes of color on a horse. 

3.)Yoga needs to be my friend again. Ground mounting (especially on the move) requires flexibility I am currently lacking. For that matter some core strength would be a brilliant addition as well. 

4.)  I need a horse that doesn't try to roll you off his shoulder or step out from under you when he spooks. I am getting too old (and the whole being the sole family income) to get dumped because a rock moved 3 inches. I don't mind some sideways movement, but I still need to work on calming the f- ...relaxing in the saddle so riding a spaz just makes me worse.

Yea I'm sure Magic will be down for this...
5.) I don't need something finished or fancy , just basically broke with a sound, calm mind for me to work with. Enough energy to clear a fence is all I need. I'm never going to jump big, its not something I even stride for, baby jumps work just fine for me.







Lesson tomorrow back on Magic's happy self. Which I'm ok with for now, he's well trained and at least begrudgingly does what you ask of him. Eventually the right horse will come along at the right price. 

12 comments:

  1. Sorry it didn't work out, but at least you know what you want :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad it didn't work out, I like ponies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, you look good on them too... now you have a giant ;)

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you have figured out some 'must haves' and some 'optionals' so that's good. I love ponies too, and that one is cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very cute pony, and now being boarded at our barn so I can at least visit

      Delete
  4. Something perfect for you WILL come :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry it didn't work out, but what you want sounds very reasonable ! I bet you can find a great hony :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just came across your blog!! :D
    I think your wants are really reasonable, you'll find something!
    I had to laugh about the pony thing..I had doubts on my horse's size and he was 15.HH when I got him..now he's 15.3-and 11, love the gained muscle on his back, LOL-and if I got another horse, I'd want to go even bigger. Hahaha!
    Www.Sittinginthesaddle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!