A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Eat me, Drink this!


So for the last few weeks, Magic has suddenly felt short. I have always liked his height for the gee way closer, and I have no idea what changed in my head; did I eat the cake in Wonderland and grow, or is it just confidence slowly returning? Hmm.....
i'm closer to the ground factor, but now he feels like








6-28-13  (Friday)

Its a million degrees out, what to do... what to do... Oh yea I should totally schlep my dusty, squeaky old barrel saddle down to the barn and plot around the arena! Yup, Cali's recent attempts to make us feel like we are living inside a furnace makes me miss big western saddles and trail riding. It what I did as a kid, slave away cleaning stalls, and trek mostly first timers and vacation riders around park district trails on guided rides. It was so much better back then, if you could even remotely hold on we would trot and gallop, canter in a safe, collected manor, along fire roads and cow trails, achieving some pretty darn nice views on our longer rides... Since it was still over 100F when I got to the barn I took my time grooming until I felt the temp break a bit, then saddled up and did some laps at a walk around the indoor arena. Worked on still bending even though its just a walk, and having some sort of forward pace, even though neither of us felt real peppy. Groomed and loved on him a bit and tucked him away.

7-2-13 (Tuesday)

No hack yesterday, it was just to dang warm. Thanks to the BART (Northern Cali's above ground rail for the few non-local readers) strike, I was late getting to the barn and since there was a lesson after me, it was (thankfully) short and sweet in the growing heat. Did some posting trot/sitting trot transitions, not our best work as Magic just kinda loses all impulsion if you let him (and I tend to). Then we did some quick crossrail and baby vertical work. Maybe it was the heat, or maybe it was the little kids watching, waiting for their turn to ride, but I was totally chill about jumping, I kinda had one of those, whatever, I got this moments that I rarely if ever feel when I see those jump rails in front of me. Nothing spectacular watching the video, but my legs don't move much anymore, and I don't look like I'm facing impending doom, a nice change ;) Trainer said it was some of my best jumping to date, which is a compliment since she doesn't sugar coat anything. Of course if I keep looking this comfortable then the jumps will get bigger and scarier, so maybe I should feign some more fear lest I encourage her... Hopefully a hack on Friday, and a trip to the County Fair this weekend.


7 comments:

  1. Yay good lesson!!

    The video is private btw :)

    We haven't been to the fair yet either but want to go. Luckily it's supposed to cool down to the 80s Friday lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay - i love reading your reports as you can see how much you have improved and become more comfortable riding again since you started back.
    I am delighted for you, onwards & upwards! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be hacking Friday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cool. I'll be out prob around 4 or 5, depending on speed of motivation after I wake up

      Delete
  4. you guys look good! love the jumping you look so relaxed and chilled out and you could see it flowing!


    I love reading about your progressing!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!