A Horse is a Horse

A Horse is a Horse

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Acclimating




Monday: It was 90F when Karley and I arrived at the barn, and it was still that when we left! Relatively low key hack since we were all sweating just from grooming, hello, no one is ready for this heat yet... Tried not to do too much trotting since I knew I'd do plenty in the morning lesson. Had some moments of greatness. FINALLY bothered to wear spurs. Well duh, little more response from the boy. Had some nice cantering forward, balanced, even pace. Hallelujah its about time I figure that out. Then he was clearly getting tired so he started breaking to a trot. So we had a little... discussion... I'm getting more forceful, and we did another nice lap and then cooled off.




Tuesday: (today) :) Had my morning lesson, with a relatively empty indoor arena. We trotted until I sounded like a freight train (yay allergy season) and then more cantering. Did a brief flying lead change (his one direction) and then some ground pole work.

The two poles were about 4 strides apart. At first we trotted them, with Magic giving a little hop and some major speed issues, aka slowing before the first pole, then rushing after I spur him. It took awhile for me to get hi maintaining a steady pace. Then we cantered it. I even get nervous cantering ground poles like a jump apparently because my trainer instantly saw me tense up, even though I didn't feel it. It was nice since I wasn't in oh crap I'm jumping mode to learn how to feel him keep pace and to count strides, something I'll admit I just kinda rely on him to figure out. He really is a good horse, when you are assertive enough for him to respect your judgement. We are getting there, lol.

Cooled him out and hung out a bit with L and our trainer as Carlos got check out, but that is her story. Then our groom found 3 little kittens in a wood pile, which were adorable and my trainer took them home. Last thing I need, something else to clean up after, but man they were cute.






4 comments:

  1. Thank you for being there for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That yellow and white kitten is too cute! My siamese would hate me if I brought home a baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea my animals would protest any more members as well. Luckily the kittens all found a home already

      Delete

Please feel free to comment, I love hearing from others, good, bad, and honest!